Samsung expects a 30% drop in first-quarter profits

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
samsung-galaxy-s6-s6-edge-100570541-primary.idge.jpg

Samsung has stated that it made around 5.9 trillion Won ($5.4 billion) in operating profit between January and March from about 47 trillion Won in revenue ($43.2 billion). That’s approximately a 30% drop in profit and a decline in sales of 12% from the same time last year.

The question now, can the GS6 and GS6E turn things around for Sammy? Especially after the disappointment of the Galaxy S5.

Who has ordered one of these beasts? Post your comments below.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Haven't ordered one. Perfectly content with my Note 4 for the time being. But the writing is really on the wall. The smartphone market isn't what it was when Sammy rose to the top of the ranks. They made a bold move by actually making a different device in this line, so I hope for them that it means more profit, but I just don't see people running to get new devices like they used to.

On top of us old dogs that've been in this game a while, I'm sure a lot of the money Samsung made in years past was from people getting their first smartphone. Unfortunately for them, not every HAS to have the newest device, so many of those people have held on to devices a lot longer than the average member of this forum. That easily results in less sales, because now you're trying to convince people who've had a smartphone for a while, but still aren't sure that they NEED one to upgrade, rather than trying to convince those that've never had one to make the leap.

Primevyl

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC Yin
Well, I ride them 'til the wheels come off. So sorry Samsungs and HTC's of the world

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Well, I ride them 'til the wheels come off. So sorry Samsungs and HTC's of the world

This is how I feel. Without Samsung's pressure that they put on all OEMs to up their game we would not have the phones that we have today.

People have chided Samsung for their "incremental" upgrades, but if you step back and look what they have achieved since the launch of the S-series it is actually quite phenomenal.

Reactions: cr6

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Samsung took it from 1 big boy (iPhone) to 2 at a point when the first big boy rested on its laurels for a few releases. They walked right into an open door of lack of innovation with not only the Galaxy series but the Note series as well. They ripped the envelope wide open with screen sizes and features not found anywhere else. The market is now saturated with models from both big boys so there naturally will be a let down and sales fall off. Where Samsung could reach into new sales areas is concentrate on emerging markets pushing lesser spec'd devices that are a notch above the competition. A Note Lite, S6 Lite, etc . They won't though because they're stuck in the mindset of beating Apple to the next big thing.

JWX

Reaction score
The people that do want the latest and greatest aren't pleased to see the no SD card or removable battery trend. Not to mention the locked down root thing....

Primevyl

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC Yin
This is how I feel. Without Samsung's pressure that they put on all OEMs to

People have chided Samsung for their "incremental" upgrades, but if you step back and look what they have achieved since the launch of the S-series it is actually quite phenomenal.
That is actually a good point. A lot of progress in the marketplace has been due to these rapid fire manufacturers.

Hadn't looked at it like that