Samsung Analysts' are Worried Galaxy S6 EDGE Plus will Cannibalize Galaxy Note 5 Sales

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Samsung-Galaxy-Note-Edge-2-mockup.jpg

It's a big day for Samsung news, and here is their next story in queue. We shared a rumor last week that Samsung was planning to launch the Galaxy Note 5 earlier than usual. The rumor suggested a mid-August launch of the device so that Samsung can get ahead of the Apple iPhone 6 S Plus. According to industry marketing analysts who study Samsung's financials, this is actually a cause for concern.

The wrinkle in this launch is that Samsung will supposedly be launching the Galaxy S6 EDGE Plus at around the same time. The market analysts' are worried that this device will cannibalize sales of the Galaxy Note 5, just as the Galaxy S6 Edge did so for the vanilla Galaxy S6.

Both phones are expected to have similar sized screens, so the average consumer might just choose the fancier Galaxy S6 EDGE Plus over the Note 5. Could Samsung be shooting themselves in the foot? It wouldn't be the first time...

Source: PhoneArena

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Well maybe these Market Analysts need to find something else to worry about.
Seriously, who cares that these guys are worried?!?
:D

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Will the Note 5 have that stupid flex screen on the edge? If so, then ya, it probably will. I want the large screen, the S-Pen isn't a big deal to me. I never used it on the Note 3 even though it was pretty neat, just no real use for me. If the screen is the same with the curved edge, then theres no real difference to me. Also, i hate the edge. I am thinking about a Note 5 even though I have a nexus 6. But thats just me, I love swapping phones.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
I'd rather have the exynos processor so I would rather have the S6 or Note 5 than the S6 plus. The S6 plus doesn't seem to bring anything unique to the table in my opinion.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Samsung needs to stop offering so many phones that are so similar to each other, if they don't want one phone to cannibalize the other...

I always understood the Note series to basically be their flagship phone, but bigger with a stylus. If they start creating "plus" versions of the flagships, why do we need a Note?

It becomes even more silly when you have two nearly identical phones, in each size, the main difference being that goofy curved edge...

chevycam94

SteelDroid ROM / Cortex ROM Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
steelroms.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P, VZW Note Edge, D1
I personally love the Note Edge. While some say it takes a lot of work to deal with having basically no bezel on the right side of the phone, Ive played with my friends Note Edge, and its surprisingly easy to deal with. I DO like having my apps very quickly accessible on the side. When filming review videos (which I just started doing a couple weeks ago), I tried to film on on the Note Edge. He got calls that came in while I was filming, but since they can be displayed on the right edge, it didnt interrupt (stop) my video. On my LG G3, an incoming call kills your active video recording session, which SUCKS. I do like the s-pen. Being able to freely select text from any screen, grab an image, edit, and send back to someone in seconds is awesome. No more taking a screenshot, open up another app, find your photo, have trouble pasting pre-sized text where you want it, cant draw any lines or circle a part of the photo, so you have to type a paragraph about what you want, save it back to gallery, open your messaging app, find your NEW photo, attach and send. Yeah, WAY TOO MUCH WORK! S-Pen allows your to grab a portion of the screen as a "screenshot", edit it on the fly, draw on it as if it were on paper, and send it back without hassle. VERY HANDY!

But yes, Samsung needs to stop making 50 different models of phone, that only have ONE spec different from the rest. For example, the S6, and S6 Edge. NO difference except the S6 Edge has two curved sides of the screen. And even at that, those curves dont offer anything advatageous over the completely flat S6 screen......so......WHY? At least on the Note Edge, that extra 160pxl curve is FUNCTIONAL!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Let's see..who else did this..a new slightly updated model of their latest tech, every 3 mos...oh...Motorola.. Heavy bloat...hmmm..Motorola. Keep it up Samsung..you're painting yourself onto a corner..

That said..I love the note edge..and I think that if they're coming out with an edge 5..they should really look into untapped potential as far as functionality with the edge or edges??will this device be running 2 edges like the s6e??

I think they're so busy throwing out new devices that they're not putting a lot of thought into what they could do to set themselves apart with a gimmick nobody else has. Yeah they could be making things too heavy by overdeveloping..but I think the edge functionality is under developed..lighten up on the screen or tie in spen and edge apps..idk..innovate...

Oh..and make a tempered glass screen protector to fit the entire display.. I hate having to use a military shield on mine..

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
My only concern is that they have bastardized the Edge functionality. If the Note 5 does not have the Edge I will not buy it. If the Note 5 has the Edge and they cripple it like the S6 Edge I won't buy it.

Make a Note 5 Edge that is an improvement upon the Note 4 Edge and I am in.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Right..make the edge more functional...

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I haven't heard a mention about a Note 5 Edge so either it is going to be a surprise announcement or they are going to just run with the S6 Edge Plus.

My current Note Edge is enough to hold me over until the Note 6 so if they don't announce a Note 5 Edge I will still be good to go :)

chevycam94

SteelDroid ROM / Cortex ROM Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
steelroms.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P, VZW Note Edge, D1
Since we are on the subject, and I kind of wish I was able to build a custom ROM for the Note Edge, what improvements would you like to see go into that edge?

I actually just took 5 minutes, and couldnt come up with anything NEW. Dont get me wrong, I dont HAVE the device in hand to even test it right. I dont know what all is available for the edge. The Samsung Store has a lot of little "pages" you can download for it, but the Best Buy show floor model had such a locked down retail mode, that I couldnt even view the list. It only had 3 installed.

I personally, even on stock (easier if rooted stock), would be an actual memory management page. Clear RAM, Force Stop apps, etc. How about a performance tuning page! Ability to set min/max CPU frequencies, GPU frequency, governor, CPU temperature throttling values, CPU temperature display, and more. THAT would be nice to have.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
So the Galaxy S6 will outsell the Galaxy S6 Edge but not the Galaxy S6 Edge Plus or the Galaxy Note 5 because the Galaxy S6 Edge Plus competes with the Galaxy S6 Edge and Galaxy S6 which is similar to the Galaxy Note 5 thus eliminating any competition from the Galaxy S6 Edge, Galaxy S6 Edge Plus and Galaxy S6.

Looks like the Galaxy Note 5 may have a problem hmmmmm. Where will the Galaxy S6 Active fall in all this?

:) :)