[RECOVERY] Safestrap Recovery v3.7x [05/15/2014 V3.73 - TWRP 2.7]

zadow

Reaction score
Quick clarification.

The installation of a rom via rom slots is stored in the internal memory of the phone and not the external. Is that correct?

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
I mistakenly created a rom slot with 2gb space, and when I flash roms on the other slots I'm only allowed 1gb.

The problem is now I get low disk space notifications. I don't want to go through the hassle of deleting the 2gb rom and redoing it with 1gb space because I finally have that rom set up perfectly.

I'm wondering if I can make a backup of it, delete the rom slot, recreate it with 1gb, and restore the backup. Would there be a conflict caused by the fact that it is a 2gb backup and I'm trying to restore it on a 1gb slot?

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
Found the answer on twitter (someone just happened to ask the same question). Hashcode says back up the rom, delete the rom slot, recreate it, and restore the rom.

EDIT: I can now confirm it works, I just did it and the restored rom works just the same.

Reaction score
Possibly a dumb question...

My stock slot is taking up a ton of space, and I would really rather just install this new rom on top of that. The 8 gigs of internal storage is almost out and it would not let me install this ontop of the "stock rom" slot. Is there a way I can just delete or reuse the default rom slot?

Thanks!

ndd

Reaction score

My stock slot is taking up a ton of space, and I would really rather just install this new rom on top of that. The 8 gigs of internal storage is almost out and it would not let me install this ontop of the "stock rom" slot. Is there a way I can just delete or reuse the default rom slot?

Thanks!

as far as I know, it's still disabled. Hashcodes has said he's going to enable it, but as of 10/14 he was still working out some kinks.

kwyrt

Reaction score
Re: [RECOVERY] Safestrap Recovery v3.0 [10/17/2012 V3.05 - UMS FIX]

Thanks!

Take a look at what is eating up that space. I use an app called DiskUsage. It will show you what using your space. For me the biggest culprit was pictures. Moving those to my external sd card freed up a lot of space for me.

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2

OP
Hashcode

Hashcode

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.hash-of-codes.blogspot.com
OP updated for Safestrap v3.11:

Download the APK Installer Here for "BIONIC, RAZR/MAXX and DROID 4"
md5sum: 546060f221487ed35cc2f023c7e5d0f1
FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS: How to Safestrap
[ DOUBLE-CHECK you have the BIONIC/RAZR/DROID4 VERSION ]

CHANGES:
  • [12/29] (3.11) Allow use of custom updater-binary in .zip files for flashing on stock ROM (virtual slots still use prebuilt updater-binary in recovery).
  • [12/29] (3.11) BUGFIX: Fixed fake flash error at the end of a .zip install. (No real error, .zip installs fine)
  • [12/29] (3.10) Early support for booting custom ROMs on stock partitions.
  • [12/29] (3.10) Enable flashing to stock ROM *BE CAREFUL -- NEW FEATURE -- STILL TESTING*
    • After .zip installations, nandroid restore or system wipe on the stock ROM: the current Safestrap files are restored to the system partition (Doesn't include the APK in /data -- so if you're restoring an old backup, be sure to update the Safestrap APK)
    • During the Safestrap files restore a check is done to be sure there are minimal files on /system to re-enter Safestrap
  • [12/29] (3.10) New virtual system partitions will be 640mb (closer match to stock RAZR/D4)
  • [12/27] (3.07) Bugfix: missed some changes in Safestrap 3.06
  • [12/26] (3.06) Bugfix/Update for JB4.1 OTA for DroidRAZR (Non-JB devices can also use)

standard101

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6 Edge
Hopefully an easy question, I am on v3.05 and want to switch back to the stock unsafe slot. In the recovery screen I can select the stock rom slot and activate it. The ROM slot selection is confirmed by the Stock Rom Slot notification in red. But when I reboot the phone it goes right back to the Safe Rom slot 1. Do I have to erase all rom slots before I can boot back into the stock slot?

edit: Here is an even stranger thing, I have the stock slot plus 2 rom slots. I deleted the second rom slot, so only the stock slot and the 1 rom slot is used. I even changed the nickname on the 2 safe rom slots. When I reboot back into the recovery screen (TWRP), the second ROM slot i deleted is back and even the nicknames are restored right back to where I started. It's like the phone constantly restores a "backup" of itself that I never made.

Any insights will be appreciated, the one ROM slot I am using is hosed and I would love to get back into my stock slot if possible. Thanks.

DSM4rill

Reaction score
Re: Safestrap Recovery v3.1 [12/29/2012 V3.11 - Stock Flash+]

OP updated for Safestrap v3.11:

• [12/29] (3.11) Allow use of custom updater-binary in .zip files for flashing on stock ROM (virtual slots still use prebuilt updater-binary in recovery).
  • [12/29] (3.11) BUGFIX: Fixed fake flash error at the end of a .zip install. (No real error, .zip installs fine)

• So does this new version charge the phone in recovery mode or is that done away with?

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2

riddlebox420

Reaction score
i have a question and i know this is really stupid on my part but i installed version 3 of safestrap and i had the original version is there a way i can go back to the original to get my backup of my phone being stock rooted becasue i accidentally flashed a rom over top of the main rom slot by accident or am i just screwed

makewayhomer

Reaction score
Droid Razr M no splash screen

I have a Razr M. I was running stock until today, when I

- factory reset
- rooted (successfully I think)
- installed safestrap 3.05 and “Installed Recovery”

however I can’t get any safestrap splash screen to show up on reboot. is there anything I need to do?

ndd

Reaction score
recover corrupted userdata.img from safestrap slot?

today something happened and I lost access to '/data' in rom slot 3, and on a reboot it complains about encryption failing. I can boot the stock image just fine, but rom slot 3 (eclipse) was my daily driver, and, of course, I don't have a recent backup. I tried mounting the userdata img on my linux machine and got

EXT3-fs error (device loop0): ext3_check_descriptors: Block bitmap for group 0 not in group (block 2553887680)!
EXT3-fs (loop0): error: group descriptors corrupted

I'm going to try using fsck to fix it, but while I'm waiting to get the chance, I'm wondering if there are any other options. this is safestrap 3.05.

ndd

Reaction score
today something happened and I lost access to '/data' in rom slot 3, and on a reboot it complains about encryption failing. I can boot the stock image just fine, but rom slot 3 (eclipse) was my daily driver, and, of course, I don't have a recent backup. I tried mounting the userdata img on my linux machine and got

EXT3-fs error (device loop0): ext3_check_descriptors: Block bitmap for group 0 not in group (block 2553887680)!
EXT3-fs (loop0): error: group descriptors corrupted

I'm going to try using fsck to fix it, but while I'm waiting to get the chance, I'm wondering if there are any other options. this is safestrap 3.05.

okay, got a chance to try this, and it worked! here's what I did:

switch to the stock slot (you could probably use any other working slot; not entirely sure)

mount the internal sd card on a linux box. for me, when I plug it in to the computer with the USB cable, the internal card is auto-mounted as /media/MOT .

look in the appropriate rom slot. I was using rom slot 3, so I looked in '/media/MOT/safestrap/rom-slot3'.

I then copied 'userdata.img' to my local disk; you could attempt the repair in place, but I didn't want to take a chance of messing things up any further. so

cp /media/MOT/safestrap/rom-slot3/userdata.img /scratch/droid4

cd /scratch/droid4

at least on my linux system, fsck won't run on a file, so you have to mount the image as a device:

losetup /dev/loop0 userdata.img
fsck -y /dev/loop0

I don't usually like '-y', which gives fsck permission to make all repairs without asking, but there seemed to be a lot of problems, and since this is just a copy...

then umount the device

losetup -d /dev/loop0

I then made yet another copy of the 'bad' img, just in case, after which I copied the repaired image back onto the phone

cp /scratch/droid4/userdata.img /media/MOT/safestrap/rom-slot3

powered the phone up, switched back to rom slot 3, rebooted, and everything looks just like it did before. even the time-keeping application that had been running when the phone crashed was correct!

I'm not sure why I had this problem: I was getting some strange behavior from swype in google voice, and was experimenting with removing/re-installing those apps, and wham!

donmanguno

Reaction score
I ****ed up

So, last night I installed safestrap on my brand new DROID4. To make a long story short, I wiped the Stock ROM slot and I have no backup. I have CM 10.1 running in ROM-Slot-1, but I'd like to restore the Stock ROM if possible.

A) Will I be able to restore a backup of the Stock ROM if I can find one? If so, does anyone have a backup that I can use to this end?

if not -

B) Will flashing the stock 4.0.4 firmware here using fastboot be an acceptable solution? I can't remove safestrap, as I have no Stock ROM to uninstall it from.

if not -

C) What can I do?