S-ON but have superuser icon in app drawer

j2theMatt

Reaction score
S-off is achieved through unrevoked forever. You can backup or flash Roms with S-on. Read up on S-off before doing it.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App

OP
R

rjs987

Reaction score
S-off is achieved through unrevoked forever. You can backup or flash Roms with S-on. Read up on S-off before doing it.

Thanks, in the instructions is says "How to know it worked:
Once the Reflash process completes (5 or so minutes), unplug USB and reboot the phone. It will look normal. Open the App tray and look for the Superuser app. The app details will be blank- that's entirely normal and what is to be expected. For final confirmation, reboot the phone into HBOOT and see if it says S-OFF at the top. If so, you're rooted!"

So I was concerned when I did not see the S-Off. I created a backup fine. Just to clarify can I flash any rom with S-On? I was looking at Incredible Reengineered but I did not see where the creator listed the requirements for flashing.

OP
R

rjs987

Reaction score
Flash away.

Thanks this is my girlfriends phone i will give it a shot when gets home from work tonight. I have a Droid X running apex 1.4 right now. Seems the Dx and inc are very different when it comes to this stuff. On the Dx they don't talk about radio, s-off, kernals, ect. I guess thats because of the locked bootloader on the Dx.

I was wondering do you know of a good forum i can read up on S-on vs S-off?

j2theMatt

Reaction score
S-off

go here:
public:forever [RootWiki]

google s-off incredible

I turned s-off and and have had no problems with it, but i wanted to flash a new radio. if after installing and tweaking roms you feel you still want to explore readup first.

j2theMatt

Reaction score
kernels are fun to play with.
go here:
Incredible list of 2.6.37.xx kernels - xda-developers

also:
Q: So how do I install the kernel?

A: First step is to either download the kernel zip file straight to your phone, or download it onto your computer and put it on the sdcard of your phone. Next you turn the phone off hold volume down and power at the same time. When the phone is in HBOOT wait a few seconds for it to initialize then hit volume down once and then power to boot into Clockwork recovery. Once in clockwork recovery you want to select "Install zip from sdcard", then "Choose zip from sdcard". You will now see a listing of files on your sdcard select the kernel zip you downloaded, or if you downloaded strait to your phone go to the Downloads folder and select the kernel zip file. The kernel will now install to the phone and once it's done it will say install complete. Now you can hit the power button once to return to main menu and select "reboot system now" . Your phone will now reboot with the new kernel.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I just rooted following the instructions on http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ow-root-stock-2-2-using-unrevoked-3-32-a.html Everything went went when it was over i was in clockworkmod recovery. As i was going to make a backup i went into Hboot and still see S-ON. However, i have the superuser icon in my app drawer. Anyone have any ideas? Should i hold off on making a backup or even flashing a rom?

I just had this happen when I tried rooting my phone last week. In order to get S-OFF, you need to install the .zip file in ClockWork Recovery. I don't think this was explained well enough in the tutorial. If you read the last couple posts in the thread I made (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/incredible-rooted-help/128246-have-superuser-app-but-not-showing-s-off.html), you can find out how to do this :)

I hope this helps!