Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I have been looking at getting a laser distance measure for a while now. I just haven't been able to pull the trigger. I really think I am going to go with the Bosch unless if someone can tell me about good experiences with the Ryobi one and plugging it into your phone.... I run a lot of conduit and pipe and it's just time I have one for getting accurate distances...

I have read a ton of mixed reviews on the Ryobi system but would like to hear from some of the folks here... Thanks!

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
In my experiences with these 2 brands

Ryobi = homeowner grade

Bosch = contractor grade.

We have 5 or 6 Bosch at our store (flooring business) and they have not disappointed.

OP
Miller6386

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
In my experiences with these 2 brands

Ryobi = homeowner grade

Bosch = contractor grade.

We have 5 or 6 Bosch at our store (flooring business) and they have not disappointed.
That's about how I feel also. I use all Milwaukee power tools but really like the idea of the Ryobi concept. But also feel if it worked well other companies would do it. But it looks like I'll be ordering the Bosch in the AM.

Thanks for the input!

cerisecons

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 22 Ultra
Home depot has the one I want so I'll be heading there today. Thanks!
Home Depot is where I bought my Bosch, the others are available through tool stores and direct suppliers, you might check CED too. Also Dewalt has come a long way with their tools, I'm still not sold on their cordless drills and some hand tools, but they make a nice laser level as well.
Edit: just re read this and Hilti makes the best distance laser, but running conduit and pipe the Bosch and others noted will suffice.

OP
Miller6386

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Home Depot is where I bought my Bosch, the others are available through tool stores and direct suppliers, you might check CED too. Also Dewalt has come a long way with their tools, I'm still not sold on their cordless drills and some hand tools, but they make a nice laser level as well.
Edit: just re read this and Hilti makes the best distance laser, but running conduit and pipe the Bosch and others noted will suffice.
I mainly want it for quoting and measurements from the floor to ceiling. I just never seem to guess those right... but I looked at Home depot and almost bought one until I saw I could get the 1 step up on amazon for $15 less. So once again Amazon prime saves the day lol

cerisecons

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 22 Ultra
I mainly want it for quoting and measurements from the floor to ceiling. I just never seem to guess those right... but I looked at Home depot and almost bought one until I saw I could get the 1 step up on amazon for $15 less. So once again Amazon prime saves the day lol
I love Amazon/Amazon Prime, I typically only buy at a store if I need it right away. Look at insurance on those units, don't know if one is available for it or not, but when those drop... Yeah they're typically toast.

OP
Miller6386

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I love Amazon/Amazon Prime, I typically only buy at a store if I need it right away. Look at insurance on those units, don't know if one is available for it or not, but when those drop... Yeah they're typically toast.
I work for a pretty small shop. We supply all our own tools but they are pretty good about replacing it for us if we break it or it gets stolen on a job site. Within reason of course. I've been there over a year and haven't asked them to replace anything I broke but some time in the last few days I had an M12 impact and 2 batteries go rogue. My company offered to replace it if need be but the plant manager in the plant I was at said if it didn't surface in a day or 2 they would make it right for me.

cerisecons

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 22 Ultra
I love sticky fingers, there's a special place in hell for thieves on the job site. I have Subs from time to time try the someone took my stuff and want me to be responsible.... Love them both...

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
We need tracking locators that work with your cell phone to intercept stolen power tools. They need to be small enough to be hidden inside the casings yet powerful enough to be detected on the cellular or Wi-Fi networks.

cerisecons

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 22 Ultra
We need tracking locators that work with your cell phone to intercept stolen power tools. They need to be small enough to be hidden inside the casings yet powerful enough to be detected on the cellular or Wi-Fi networks.
Excellent point, there is LoJack for computers now, but it's probably something that needs power to send a signal. You could always put a NFC tab but you'd have to scan every tool on the job.
You've got something there FK, develop it and you'll be sitting wealthy..

Last edited:

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
They have RF tags on everything. I doubt you can get a lo-jak system for tools without it being known.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Excellent point, there is LoJack for computers now, but it's probably something that needs power to send a signal. You could always put a NFC tab but you'd have to scan every tool on the job.
You've got something there FK, develop it and you'll be sitting wealthy..
Really it wouldn't have to be too big. My Jawbone UP Move is really small, about the size of a quarter, and uses a CR2032 battery and it gets like 8 months on that battery. Toss one of those inside the battery pack of the power tool and there you have it. Tracking for your tools.

It could even be smaller if it used the power from the rechargeable battery, and wouldn't need some of the sensor functionality that the Move has so it could be more compact.

a92a8c71d33e669afccb5bd5e0badfdc.jpg

OP
Miller6386

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I love sticky fingers, there's a special place in hell for thieves on the job site. I have Subs from time to time try the someone took my stuff and want me to be responsible.... Love them both...
I really don't believe ant stole it. I really feel someone just used it and set it down where they were at and left it there. It's a really small assembly plant and everyone knows me. I can't picture any of them swiping it. But there were some other contractors in there who had Milwaukee stuff and could of easily grabbed it thinking it was supposed to be on there truck.

The lo jack is a pretty good idea but when the tools only average a little over $100 each I worry what the additional cost would be.