[Rumor] Verizon to launch 10" Motorola Tablet w/ Android 2.2 and FiOS TV

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
2qnux4l.jpg

So, we have all heard the recent rumors that Verizon and Motorola have combined forces (yet again) to work on a tablet. Specs, availability, features, and price point have all been a bit murky, however, as both companies have been hush-hush on the project. But yesterday, for the first time, details on the tablet began to emerge. Reported by Financial Times, the Motorola/Verizon tablet will have a 10 inch screen and launch with Android 2.2 (and consequently, Flash support will be inherent). But most interestingly, the tablet may be running some version of the Verizon FiOS service. This would certainly be a welcome addition, and (along with Flash capabilities) would really one-up "rival developers" (think, iPad). Expect the Motorola tablet to be thinner than the iPad, include a Mobile Hotspot feature, and have two cameras (one on the front for video conferencing, and another for taking photos).

Verizon FiOS TV on a tablet? Sounds like the perfect marriage to me. But as we all know, Verizon enjoys squeezing every last penny out of their customers, so don't expect these services to come cheap. Also, let's just pray, that when they mention FiOS TV, they don't actually mean V Cast TV and Video. Pricing and availability for the Verizon/Motorola tablet are still unclear, but Financial Times' sources are saying we may see the device as early as "autumn" in the US.

Head over to Android Tablet Forum for the latest Android tablet news and rumors.

Source: Financial Times
Graphic courtesy of Top News

Last edited:
J

JohnDroid

How can a tablet run FIOS when it stands for, essentially, fiber to the home?

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
How can a tablet run FIOS when it stands for, essentially, fiber to the home?

some version of their TV service. details are murky, at best. like i said in the OP, let's hope it's very different from V Cast TV/Videos

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
This isthe first tablet I have read about that just may be the iPad killer. Granted Apple has it loyal customers who will stick with the iPad but for people who haven't chosen a side team Android team Apple, I could see them buying the moto tablet. Obviously this is all hearsay as of now but this is exciting.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
another thought: if this comes out in Autumn, this will probably be running the same chipset as the Droid X / Droid 2... the TI OMAP 3640... would we be happy with this?

nerdkill

Reaction score
finally some sexy tablet news. this one is promising.

DaHarder

Reaction score
... and for those concerned that the name will be yet another stupid 'PAD' iteration, you'll be pleased to know that it appears that the Verizon/Motorola Tablet will be called... wait for it... the DROID T. dancedroid

dragonfly1113

Reaction score

DaHarder

Reaction score

Despich

Reaction score
I call bulls%$t..

Verizon is actively selling off their FIOS service in a lot of markets along with their Local phone line service and have stated repetedly they want to just focus on wireless. (Verizon | Verizon Completes Spinoff of Local Exchange Businesses and Related Landline Activities in 14 States) Our FIOS here in Indiana is now owned by Frontier Communications. Verizon has stated they have basically completed their FIOS rollout. (Verizon nears Fios network completion | Signal Strength - CNET News would they work to build a device that specifically worked with FIOS service or was dependant on FIOS service to operate when they obviously do not have plans to keep expanding this service.

As for a tablet that you can watch TV on that sounds great but it's hardly new technology (Hulu, Comcast, Youtube, Itunes, NetFlix anyone) I would bet that all the companies that provide TV services will offer all their channels and on demand shows over the web as part of your subscription (or with a add on cost) very shortly. They basically will have to in order to compete with the Hulu's, YouTubes and iTunes, people are going to start dropping their TV services in mass once these services mature some.

Now having said all that I would LOVE for someone with some clout to actually release a decent Android based tablet (regardless of whether I can watch tv on it), I know I would be very interested, extreamely interested if it had LTE and I actually had LTE in my area.

Dan

Reaction score
I don't want my future Android pad tied to a required phone bill. This one is probably gonna require a $30 monthly bill. I just want a good wi-fi Android tablet.