[Rumor] Supposedly Leaked Pics Suggest Motorola is Working on Droid 5

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Motorola-DROID-5-3.png

Pics can be faked, which is why we are calling this one a rumor for now, but it would be pretty exciting if true. Just over the weekend some supposedly leaked pics of a Motorola Droid 5 hit the web, complete with a QWERTY slide-out keyboard. Not too many specs were shared along with this leak, but a few features were:
  • Landscape slider with a full 5 row keyboard
  • 4.3 or 4.5 inch display
  • Wireless charging
  • NFC
  • Water and dust resistance
With the Moto X and the Ultra series out it seems like a strange time to release a new Droid. Still, some folks really miss their QWERTY keyboards, and it would be awesome to see a new Droid come to market, even if it is just to satisfy our sense of nostalgia.

Motorola-DROID-5-2.jpg
Motorola-DROID-5-1.jpg

If they put good enough internals in it, a new Droid 5 could be a great addition to the smartphone world again. After-all, it was the OG Droid that really kick-started the Android rise to dominance. What do you guys think... would you like to see this baby hit the streets again?

Source: ArsTechnica

djspy

Reaction score
Like I said before, I believe they were working on it but they scrapped the project. It's running Android 4.0.3. It says it's a RAZR HD, it's running the old camera software, it has the old software keys last year's RAZR shipped with (which were quickly replaced with the stock Android ones) and, Motorola has moved away from on screen keys for the DROID brand. Someone likely found the prototype and is simply trolling the internet.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Probably a moot point given the previous post, but: after my somewhat painful and tumultuous relationship with the Droid 3 -- plus all the unprovoked ribbing I've received for liking physical keyboards (poor, poor me) -- I'm all but ready to venture into the land of virtual keyboards. In particular, a 4.7"-5" display is more than enough for my fat, clumsy fingertips. No way I'm taking a swing (or should I say, swype, *yuck, yuck*) at another slider Droid.

-Matt

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
...right, and given my proficiency with 3rd party virtual keyboards, Swipe comes to mind, I see no reason for physical keyboards. What would a Droid 5 be, and how would it wow an already saturated marketplace?

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
There was a time when I certainly would've been excited by the prospect of the Droid 5. The physical keyboard was a feature that I pined over, and I really missed it's absence after my OG died. However, after two years without one, I can hardly say I would go back to a device with slide-out keys.

Reaction score
I hope this pans out. I also hope that story about Verizon locking down their phones even harder than they already do doesn't pan out.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Probably a moot point given the previous post, but: after my somewhat painful and tumultuous relationship with the Droid 3 -- plus all the unprovoked ribbing I've received for liking physical keyboards (poor, poor me) -- I'm all but ready to venture into the land of virtual keyboards. In particular, a 4.7"-5" display is more than enough for my fat, clumsy fingertips. No way I'm taking a swing (or should I say, swype, *yuck, yuck*) at another slider Droid.

-Matt

I loved my d2g d3 d4 etc etc but... since I got my razr maxx and since moved up to my note 2 I could possibly NEVER get rid of my stylus AND the screen size is perfect for typing either with my fingers or using SwiftKey flow.

i don't think a d5 would do it for me but please, let them release one.

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
I'm still hoping to see a new device released with a physical keyboard. I was/am hoping for a non-embedded / user swap-able battery but considering the trend of Motorola devices I highly doubt any newer devices will offer this option.. **cough**STUPID**cough** Looks like Samsung are the only ones smart enough to make a reasonably thin phone without sacrificing the user's need to swap out the battery. Hello, McFly... er um, I mean Motorola! Think, Motorola, Think!!!

:soapbox: