[Rumor] Samsung Galaxy S IV May Launch in May 2013; Might Have an 8-Core CPU

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Samsung-Galaxy-S3-blank-s4-mockup.jpg

While we have heard numerous rumors suggesting we will see a tease of the Samsung Galaxy S IV at either CES or MWC next year, until today we haven't heard anything about an actual launch date. A new rumor suggests that will happen in May of next year. Supposedly, Samsung plans to announce the new phone in April and will launch it in May. This rumor accompanies some other insights into specs, although these details seem to be about the same as what we have heard previously. Here's what the newest rumor suggests,
  • 4.99 inch Super AMOLED full HD display (1920×1080 = 441 pixels per inch)
  • Exynos 5450 quad core processor and an updated Mali T-658
  • Battery 3200mAh
  • 13MP Sony Exmore RS Camera
One other tidbit of info that came with this report suggests that Samsung is planning a very special new CPU for the SGS4. Here's a quote,

Another rumor by the EETimes suggest that Samsung will announce an 8 core processor based on ARM’s big.little concept in February. This processor will be a 28nm SoC and will employ two quad core clusters. One will run at 1.8GHz and will be geared for high performance apps, while the other cluster will run at 1.2GHz and will be optimized for energy efficiency. If Samsung does announce this processor, we could very well see it in the Galaxy S IV.

Based upon some earlier reports, we suspect that this last part is bogus, but just because the SGS4 is likely not an 8-core beast, does not mean the the SGS5 won't be...

Source: GSMNation

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
The 4.99 screen better not make the physical device any larger. If it does, why not just get a Note. As for the CPU, I think Android itself will have to have it set up to use that kind of chip efficiently. The battery is very nice sounding but it also makes me think that the new hardware setup is a power hog. My S3 has a MUCH smaller battery and I am usually at 50% battery at the end of a day of normal use. Shoot, its sitting at 74% right now and has been off the charger since 6:30 this morning.

I have no doubt it'll be a great phone as long as all the cards fall into place for it.

geoff5093

Reaction score
The 4.99 screen better not make the physical device any larger. If it does, why not just get a Note. As for the CPU, I think Android itself will have to have it set up to use that kind of chip efficiently. The battery is very nice sounding but it also makes me think that the new hardware setup is a power hog. My S3 has a MUCH smaller battery and I am usually at 50% battery at the end of a day of normal use. Shoot, its sitting at 74% right now and has been off the charger since 6:30 this morning.

I have no doubt it'll be a great phone as long as all the cards fall into place for it.
If it's like the Droid DNA, it proves that you can have a large display with a relatively small package. The GS3 has a lot of excess bezel, heck it's wider than the 5" DNA.

This phone looks EPIC. I really hope these specs are true.

WestOkid

Reaction score
I agree with with the guys above me. Who cares about cores unless battery is better, and if they make the screen bigger they better keep the phone's dimensions the same.

Sent from my SGS3 using Tapatalk 2

AdamPA1006

Reaction score
I agree with with the guys above me. Who cares about cores unless battery is better, and if they make the screen bigger they better keep the phone's dimensions the same.

Sent from my SGS3 using Tapatalk 2

Thats what they did with Note-Note 2. Same size less bezel

phonegeeks

Reaction score
Samsung Galaxy S 4 or the next iPhone?

So I currently have an iPhone 4s and don't feel like switching to a new phone but do want to switch in a few months. So, can't decide if I should wait for the next iPhone or just go with SGS 4 when it comes out in may?

kevsgroove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
If it's like the Droid DNA, it proves that you can have a large display with a relatively small package. The GS3 has a lot of excess bezel, heck it's wider than the 5" DNA.

This phone looks EPIC. I really hope these specs are true.

I agree. And I'm really looking forward to what Samsung does with this device. Gotta love a 3200mah battery, with what they've done having a 2100mah one in the S3. This is probably the one that I will entice me to leave Motorola.