[Rumor] Nexus 8 and Android 4.5 Coming in July

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nexus8-highlighted.png

Today's juiciest piece of intel is pretty hot, yet probably isn't too surprising either. Supposedly, according to "unnamed insider sources" Google will be launching both Android 4.5 and a new Nexus 8 Android tablet in the summer of this year. This same insider shared that the next Android update will actually be 4.5, but will not be revealed at Google I/O.

It appears that Google will be waiting until July to announce the next iteration of Android and the first device to sport "Lolli-Pop" (or whatever dessert Google finally decides to call it) will be an 8-inch Nexus 8 tablet designed to compete with the iPad Mini directly.

If this is true, it would shatter the idea from previous rumors that Google plans to kill off the Nexus line. To be honest, that's not a rumor we ever bought into anyway. Of course, stranger things have happened, and Google can be hard to predict sometimes. What would you guys think of a Nexus 8 tablet?

Source: TalkAndroid

combatmedic870

Reaction score
I think with the 5 inch screened phones out now and sinxe that's now the standard. 7 inches is too small. So I think 8 would fit well. Now that I have the note 3 I never touch my nexus 7. I'm sure that will change soon when i rid my self of it. Too big for a daily driver.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
If it is Lollipop I am going to lobby for another marketing tie in: Tootsie Pop or Blow Pop!

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
The 8 seems to fit a sweet spot.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

wkoffke

Reaction score
Yet Another Nexus Rumor (YANR - a little like yawn) My first read on it was back in November, Big Nexus 8, 10 release. Was Play store update. It's just Google playing with us. Show me the hardware!

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I think with the 5 inch screened phones out now and sinxe that's now the standard. 7 inches is too small. So I think 8 would fit well. Now that I have the note 3 I never touch my nexus 7. I'm sure that will change soon when i rid my self of it. Too big for a daily driver.

Yeah, but not everyone wants a 5"+ phone. I'm in the market for a 7-8" tablet, but haven't seen one with the specs I'd like (1gig ram - REALLY?)

Also have played around with ART in 4.4....If Google gets that cleaned-up and ready for prime time (seems unlikely by summer) that could be another big improvement in performance.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's why I love my LG G Pad 8.3, a perfect compliment to my S4. I also like the LG IPS display better than the Amoled display from Samsung, in dark scenes Samsung still has not figured out the green haze problem, which is not an issue with the IPS display on the LG.

Ruckstar

Reaction score
I like that the 8 can be used as an Infinity symbol when turned sideways, should be cool!