[Rumor] Google May Launch a Nexus 6 with 64-Bit Snapdragon 810 Series Octa-Core Chip

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nexus6-concept-design.png

The above image is just a concept design found randomly on the web.

Just because this week is spam-week for oficial announcements from Mobile World Congress, doesn't mean we get to slack on future news, rumors and innuendo. Here's a juicy new rumor suggesting Google is working on a phablet of their own called the Nexus 6. Supposedly, this device will will be announced later this year with the new Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 Series (probably the 816 which was just announced) Octa-Core 64-bit processor powering it. Supposedly, this new 8-core chip will include four ARM Cortex-A57 CPUs coupled with four Cortex-A53 CPUs in an ARM big.LITTLE configuration to enable scalable performance.

Here's a quote with the details,

Google will use Qualcomm's forthcoming 64-bit 8-core chipset solution, the Snapdragon 810, for its next-generation Nexus 6 smartphone, according to a Chinese-language Economic Daily News (EDN) report.

Bill Davidson, senior vice president of global marketing and investor relations of Qualcomm, declined to reveal the company's roadmap for it 8-core CPUs when he visited Taiwan recently, said the paper.

However, the paper said that Qualcomm is expected to release the Snapdragon 810 in the second half of 2014, quoting reliable sources.

The Snapdragon 810 SoC is likely to be powered by four ARM Cortex-A57 CPUs paired with four Cortex-A53 CPUs for an ARM big.LITTLE configuration that enables scalable performance, said the paper.

As we can see, this is supposed to hit in the second half of this year. This is of course assuming the intel is accurate. DigiTimes has a moderately successful track record so it's definitely something to watch out for. What do you guys think? Would a Nexus phablet interest you?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I wonder if they'll bump the typical 1gig ram to, I don't know, 1.5gigs....you know, take full advantage of 64bit!

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
Throw in a wacom stylus, removable battery, and a micro-SD slot and they'll have a surefire winner on their hands!

And have Samsung make it for them.

And call it the Note 4...

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Throw in a wacom stylus, removable battery, and a micro-SD slot and they'll have a surefire winner on their hands!

And have Samsung make it for them.

And call it the Note 4...

I doubt we will get a stylus and you know how Google feels about removable batteries and external memory though I am with you there.

I am really pushing for Motorola to make this phone (motorola and not Lenovo ), in fact rumors have it that Motorola will be making the next Nexus. So if Motorola manages to give us a phablet with their awesome radios I would be all over it. Though I suspect it will end up being LG making the device and it will be made after the LG G Pro 2 ...either way I know it and will buy it with the Nexus watch.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Lack of storage on tablet is just dumb, IMO. Plenty of people are going the wifi only route - well there are plenty of times you'd want to use a tablet and not have wifi access.

And I'm already seeing apps downloading and caching content to the device. Nevermind how much faster it makes access, I think this is a logical progression for wifi. Makes your content (particularly news and music) available always and everywhere, along with faster access without concern for signal issues.

There's a replacement out for Currents, and I think this could become a big deal for Google. It downloads/caches dozens of popular sites and magazines in a nice format, consolidated in one app. Figure you include ads with that and everyone wins because they get more clicks with Google's tech putting the articles in front of you that you want to read.