[Rumor] Google May Have Strong-Armed Acer to Stop Their Aliyun OS-based Smartphone

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
google-accused-of-pressuring-acer.jpeg

If the following accusations are true, Google may have recently tainted their "halo" a bit. A new report shares an accusation from a Chinese company called Alibaba. They claim that Google threatened to revoke Acer's Android license if they launched their new CloudMobile A800. This phone supposedly was going to use the Aliyun OS, which is a platform developed by Alibaba. Alibaba wants their mobile OS to rival Google’s Android operating system. Here's a quote with some some additional details on the "drama":

Acer had scheduled to host a news conference today for the unveiling of its Acer A800 smartphone aimed for China. The company however suddenly called off the event with the marketing chief refusing to comment why.

Soon after the cancellation, though, Alibaba spoke saying it was because Google itself had allegedly threatened Acer to revoke its Android license.

Google's move is "clearly unfair to consumers and we are concerned about the impact on customer access to competitive products," an Alibaba spokesperson said in a blog post. The post now seems to have been removed.

Acer marketing chief Muriel Kuan said the event was cancelled for a “special reson,” but didn't give any more details.

Right now we are calling this one a rumor because an accusation does not a fact make. Without more info, there is no way we can know if Alibaba's assertion is accurate. It wouldn't make sense that they would even know about a meeting in which Google really did strong-arm Acer.

While it is possible that the accusation is true, it would definitely be out of the ordinary for Google, and would obviously fly in the face of their "don't be evil" motto. We will keep you apprised if more details emerge.

Source: PhoneArena

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Idk... I could see this "possibly" happening. I wouldn't want a company launching something like android.. people could possibly mistake it..

Lots of possibilities here.. idk.

DeadlyAP1

Reaction score
I find it ironic that a Chinese company that makes it's money copying products is called "Alibaba".

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I find it ironic that a Chinese company that makes it's money copying products is called "Alibaba".

right, and maybe google "strong armed" them because of what china recently did about the nexus 7. who really knows. doesn't affect me that much

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Anyone seen the Aliyun OS?

guitarskoota

Reaction score
According to the source:
Acer has allegedly cancelled the launch of its new CloudMobile A800 based on the Chinese Android-based Aliyun operating system
To me that sounds like Aliyun is based off of Android code. Obviously I can see why Google wouldn't allow it, and I don't think its "evil" one bit. Try modding Windows and selling it as your own OS and see how that goes. China is notorious for copying things and then trying to compete with the original.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
According to the source:

To me that sounds like Aliyun is based off of Android code. Obviously I can see why Google wouldn't allow it, and I don't think its "evil" one bit. Try modding Windows and selling it as your own OS and see how that goes. China is notorious for copying things and then trying to compete with the original.

Aliyun its Linux based. Android is open source. Your argument is invalid

Sent from my frozenly delicious bionic.

guitarskoota

Reaction score
Aliyun its Linux based. Android is open source. Your argument is invalid

According to Wikipedia Aliyun OS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It doesn't use Delvik, but the OS itself is a binary-compatible Android clone. An App Store was launched with the Aliyun OS that contains downloadable Android APK_(file_format) files.

They call it an Android clone. Semantics really but Google must feel it clones Android too closely. I don't think they would make threats like this if it was an OS like Windows Phone, etc.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
According to Wikipedia Aliyun OS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They call it an Android clone. Semantics really but Google must feel it clones Android too closely. I don't think they would make threats like this if it was an OS like Windows Phone, etc.

The problem is windows is closed source, Android is open source. You can do what you want with it.

Sent from my frozenly delicious bionic.

LocoRon

Reaction score
The problem is windows is closed source, Android is open source. You can do what you want with it.

My thoughts exactly. Acer could still download the source and continue to make Android phones. They may not be able to continue to include the Google stuff, but I don't think that'd be a really big impediment (I bet they could convince Amazon to let them use the Amazon app store instead).

I call BS on this rumor. But what do I know? :)