[Rumor] Google and Asus May Be Preparing to Launch a $99 Nexus Tablet Later This Year

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nexus-7-back.jpeg

This intriguing bit of news comes from DigiTimes, so we have to plop it firmly in the rumor category, but if it turns out to be true, it will likely blow the tablet market wide open! Supposedly, DigiTimes has word that Google and Asus are teaming up again to launch a $99 dollar Nexus later this year. The same "industry source" of this intel also shared that they are also planning to release a thinner version of the current Nexus 7. The report claims that both tablets will use display panels from HannStar Display.

Of course, considering that the current Nexus 7 costs Google about $157 to make, it seems implausible that they could develop a tablet that low without some major sacrifices. Still, if they can do it, the tablet landscape will change dramatically, and Apple would have a hard time competing with a tablet of that price even if they do release an iPad-mini.

It's important to note that Asus has already come forward denying this report, so we should probably remain highly skeptical.

Source: NexusTablets.net via AndroidAuthority

Redsnk95

Reaction score
Not sure who want one. Assuming the specs are very minimal. Would fit the world on straight internet browsing...no storing anything on it assuming the memory is low. But $99 is hard to beat no matter what the specs are.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I assume it may simply be a dual-core version of the N7. In that case, it should still perform well. Perhaps Tegra 2 based? Either way, not everyone needs quad core.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
They'll probably just resell the N7 and come out with an N7+.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I think $200 is a great price for a tablet. Lower than that and I think the hardware will suffer. Being a Nexus device though it should receive 18 months of updates from Google (is it 18...I forget) so the hardware can't be that bad.

jseah

Reaction score
Not sure who want one. Assuming the specs are very minimal. Would fit the world on straight internet browsing...no storing anything on it assuming the memory is low. But $99 is hard to beat no matter what the specs are.

The specs may be minimal, but I would guess there would be a huge market for them. Look at how well the sub-$100 Chinese made tablets sells, even though they don't have Google Play, they are stuck on Gingerbread, etc.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
The specs may be minimal, but I would guess there would be a huge market for them. Look at how well the sub-$100 Chinese made tablets sells, even though they don't have Google Play, they are stuck on Gingerbread, etc.
And it would probably be a Nexus tablet which means fast updates straight from Google. I think there would be a huge market for this.

Personally I would love to see Google and Asus maybe make a tablet that's around the $200~ and has an added keyboard dock accessory.

jseah

Reaction score
And it would probably be a Nexus tablet which means fast updates straight from Google. I think there would be a huge market for this.

Personally I would love to see Google and Asus maybe make a tablet that's around the $200~ and has an added keyboard dock accessory.

A $99 "real" tablet, not one that is just called an "e-reader" like the Nova's or Polaroids, would sell huge. That price point would seriously undercut Apple.

blacksoxing

Reaction score
Typical consumer wouldn't care if it's a quad or a dual or whatnot....

I don't even remember what's in MY Nexus!

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Typical consumer wouldn't care if it's a quad or a dual or whatnot....

Does it play Angry Birds ? Yes. Can I update my facebook? Yes
Only $99 and plays Angry Birds and facebook? I'll buy 3 for my kids this Christmas and one for me now so I can facebook.

Support Our Troops! !!!
<><
From my Beano

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
mountainbikermark said:
Does it play Angry Birds ? Yes. Can I update my facebook? Yes
Only $99 and plays Angry Birds and facebook? I'll buy 3 for my kids this Christmas and one for me now so I can facebook.

Support Our Troops! !!!
<><
From my Beano

Family that Facebooks together stays together.