rooting is so confusing

volsfan1965

Reaction score
OK I am starting from scratch. I have z4root i have droid2 bootstrap recovery.
my phone says i have system version 2.4.33 but the sbf file I have says 2.4.29 so do I have the right one.
I have seen threads that tell me when I get an update I have to reroot some tell me I need rsd lite. there are so many instructions that as a newb to all this it is so confusing.
what apps do I put on my phone what apps do I put on my computer
what apps do I need for rooting\unrooting backing up and recoverying if I mess it up.
apps that I can use after I root dont matter I just want to be ready when or if something happens to my phone after I root.
Im sorry for all the questions but I am just so confused on what to do and when, what app to install and where. versions and apps and its frying my brain.lol

Neverblu

Reaction score
Use z4root to root and you can also use it to un-root. You do not need rsd lite or the sbf to root. RSD lite and the sbf(system boot file) are there to hook up your phone to the computer and basically reinstall the os/firmware/rom onto the phone from scratch if you brick/softbrick/bootloop your phone. Basically sbf'ing is doing the same thing as pulling the phone from the assembly line and loading software for the first time. The version of the sbf is the version of moto blur/nandroid that is flashed at the factory, currently only verizon has pushed the update upto 2.4.33 and phones are still coming with 2.4.29 from the factory. Anyways root with z4root, if z4 root gets stuck, force close it and keep trying until it roots, it takes a couple times to work.