d2g will not complete sbf

strange27

Reaction score
Hi guys, looking for some help here. I'm new to the community and rooting so bear with me as I try to figure this problem out. Last week I accidently took my phone swimming. I then slid keyboard open and took out battery and sd card and let it dry for a couple days. Suprisingly, the phone still kind of works. It turns on but goes straight to the bootloader screen. I have never rooted the phone but I did buy it used so i'm not sure what the previous owner did to it. When it boots up it says:

bootloader d0.11
battery ok
ok to program.

I've tried flashing with different versions of rsd lite, most recently 5.3.1 with different sbf's, 2.4.29, 2.4.33 and 2.3.20, 2 fail instantly but the 2.4.29 will get all the way to the switching to bp passthrough mode then fails. it reaches 100% the phone says sw update complete, then just reboots back to bootloader and rsd says:

failed flashing process: phone[0000]: error switching phone to bp passthrough mode (0x70Be); phone connected.

I've tried it on windows xp and 7. Same result on both. I can access the phone by holding down the camera button while turning on and it will boot like normal but will not get network signal. I can get wifi though so I checked for available updates and it says there is an available update so I download that, it does its thing for a bit then reboots right back into the bootloader screen.
I've also booted into recovery and tried the wipe cache then reboot but still boots back to bootloader.

So any suggestions? also, what is bp passthrough mode? My version of bootloader seems weird too, most other people's seem to have a different version than d0.11...

tvd2g

Reaction score
I had same problem.

Download motohelp drivers.
Install the drivers.
This all has to be on winxp32bit
Download the vrw version sbf(VRZ_A956_2.4.33_1FF_01.sbf)
Make sure you have rsd lite 4.9
Before you load rsd lite hold shift then right click on icon.
Run as admin
Load the vrw sbf
Make sure your battery is full
Turn phone into bootloader
Plug phone in
Once it says connected. Start flashing sbf

sent from your moms yambag using my heXen d2g

Last edited:
OP
S

strange27

Reaction score
Ok so I uninstalled rsd lite 5.3 and installed 4.9. still same error. I've tried this more than 10 times with different versions of rsd and sbf's. The only thing is on this xp 32bit version I can hold shift and choose "run as" then choose the administrator user user instead of "run as administrator"

tvd2g

Reaction score
You need to install the proper drivers. That's why its not switching. Download motohelp then install the msi then run the helper. Run clean. Its supposed to load a driver when its switching to bp. You'll see it in the system tray. If it doesntload the driver when its switching it will fail.

Run as admin and type the password you set when installing xp

Last edited:

60lpsdf250

Reaction score
Hi guys, looking for some help here. I'm new to the community and rooting so bear with me as I try to figure this problem out. Last week I accidently took my phone swimming. I then slid keyboard open and took out battery and sd card and let it dry for a couple days. Suprisingly, the phone still kind of works. It turns on but goes straight to the bootloader screen. I have never rooted the phone but I did buy it used so i'm not sure what the previous owner did to it. When it boots up it says:

bootloader d0.11
battery ok
ok to program.

I've tried flashing with different versions of rsd lite, most recently 5.3.1 with different sbf's, 2.4.29, 2.4.33 and 2.3.20, 2 fail instantly but the 2.4.29 will get all the way to the switching to bp passthrough mode then fails. it reaches 100% the phone says sw update complete, then just reboots back to bootloader and rsd says:

failed flashing process: phone[0000]: error switching phone to bp passthrough mode (0x70Be); phone connected.

I've tried it on windows xp and 7. Same result on both. I can access the phone by holding down the camera button while turning on and it will boot like normal but will not get network signal. I can get wifi though so I checked for available updates and it says there is an available update so I download that, it does its thing for a bit then reboots right back into the bootloader screen.
I've also booted into recovery and tried the wipe cache then reboot but still boots back to bootloader.

So any suggestions? also, what is bp passthrough mode? My version of bootloader seems weird too, most other people's seem to have a different version than d0.11...

Sounds like it might be fried. You might try this methodology as a last ditch effort. Read the whole thing (including the links), pretty straight forward: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=153973

D2G

OP
S

strange27

Reaction score
I've got motohelper and I did the clean only but after doing that rsd didn't recognize my device, so I did the clean and re-install and tried again still no luck. Nothing came up in the system tray. What do you mean by install the msi?

OP
S

strange27

Reaction score
60lpsdf250, I'm charging battery up now and going to install ubuntu. Let's hope this works.

tvd2g

Reaction score
Msi is the Microsoft install file. Restart pc with phone not connected. Clean and reinstall drivers. Make sure you have a full battery. That's very important. Once drivers are installed. Load the rsd lite by holding shift then righteous click icon run as then run as admin and type your password in. Once open load the file I told you about earlier. Then boot phone into bootloader(I have same version) once loaded and it says code corrupt battery ok to program plug usb in and then start flashing. If your battery is dying it will fail. It needs more than 50%. I had the same exact problem to a t. I got it working by that method

tvd2g

Reaction score
60lpsdf250, I'm charging battery up now and going to install ubuntu. Let's hope this works.

Fyi the battery wont charge in the phone. Light may go on but it doesn't charge. I had to buy abattery charger from verizon. Fits the bp6(7)x batteries. After I charged it the flash worked. Since then I've flashed a few times testing roms and switching back to stock

60lpsdf250

Reaction score

Let us know how it works out. FYI, you don't have to install Ubuntu unless you want to. Ubuntu has full functionality (at least for this task) running off the CD. Once you're don SBFing you can reboot and will be back on winbloze.

D2G

OP
S

strange27

Reaction score
I'm having trouble with the terminal.

strange@ubuntu:~$ sudo./sbf_flash VRZ_A956_2.4.33_1FF_01.sbf
sudo: ./sbf_flash: command not found

I've tried it so many different ways. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

60lpsdf250

Reaction score
I'm having trouble with the terminal.

strange@ubuntu:~$ sudo./sbf_flash VRZ_A956_2.4.33_1FF_01.sbf
sudo: ./sbf_flash: command not found

I've tried it so many different ways. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

OK, so did yo follow these steps?

0. Download "VRZ_A956_2.4.33_1FF_01.sbf" to your home folder.
1. Download "sbf_flash" to your home folder (see above for dowload).
2. Open a terminal (there are various ways depending on your distro/version of Linux). You will be in your home directory. It'll look something like this:
"60lpsdf250@60lpsdf250:~$"
The "~$" means your home.
3. Plug your phone into the mini connector that's already plugged into your computer. The phone will turn on; turn it off. Turn it back on while pressing the "up" arrow on the slide-out keyboard to go into the bootloader
4. Enter (making sure you type the SBF file name carefully and exactly with no spaces, (it will not load correctly):

chmod +x sbf_flash

sudo ./sbf_flash VRZ_A956_2.4.33_1FF_01.sbf

You'll be asked for your password, which you will have set up when you installed Linux.
5. Now your phone should start flashing. Let it go for a while (mine took ~7 minutes).

If so, type in at your :~$ ls (the letter "l" and "s" then <enter>)

you should see the sbf_flash and VRZ_A956_2.4.33_1FF_01.sbf files listed. If not type

:~$ cd Downloads/
(note that commands in Linux are case sensitive (it's an upper case D)

You should see the sbf_flash and VRZ_A956_2.4.33_1FF_01.sbf file listed.

If so, start at the chmod step above. If not you might try re-downloading them.

It also appears from you post, you didn't put a space between "sudo" and "./sbf_flash VRZ_A956_2.4.33_1FF_01.sbf"... there needs to be one.

OP
S

strange27

Reaction score
Well i'm gonna give it a rest for the night. Turns out i'm having trouble extracting the damn rar file. I thought I was doing it at first through the gui but when I did the ls command it was the .rar file not the .sbf. so I tried to extract through the terminal and it looks like this

strange@ubuntu:~/Downloads$ unrar x VRZ_A956_2.4.33_1FF_01.rar

unrar 0.0.1 Copyright (C) 2004 Ben Asselstine, Jeroen Dekkers

Extracting from /home/strange/Downloads/VRZ_A956_2.4.33_1FF_01.rar

Extracting VRZ_A956_2.4.33_1FF_01.sbf Failed
1 Failed
strange@ubuntu:~/Downloads$

I think once I get it extracted to the home folder It will be smooth sailing. Will try again tomorrow. thanks for the help.

60lpsdf250

Reaction score
Well i'm gonna give it a rest for the night. Turns out i'm having trouble extracting the damn rar file. I thought I was doing it at first through the gui but when I did the ls command it was the .rar file not the .sbf. so I tried to extract through the terminal and it looks like this

strange@ubuntu:~/Downloads$ unrar x VRZ_A956_2.4.33_1FF_01.rar

unrar 0.0.1 Copyright (C) 2004 Ben Asselstine, Jeroen Dekkers

Extracting from /home/strange/Downloads/VRZ_A956_2.4.33_1FF_01.rar

Extracting VRZ_A956_2.4.33_1FF_01.sbf Failed
1 Failed
strange@ubuntu:~/Downloads$

I think once I get it extracted to the home folder It will be smooth sailing. Will try again tomorrow. thanks for the help.

I'm at work and on a winbloze box and may not get this exactly right, but go to the upper menu and select "Places", then "Downloads". It'll open a window, you should see the *.rar file. Right click on it and it should say something like "Extract Here". Select that and it should extract the sbf into the Downloads Folder.
I'll look into it when I get home and get onto my linux box.

Last edited:
OP
S

strange27

Reaction score
Just to give an update here, I never was able to get the phone working properly. Linux was much easier and I was able to extract the sbf just fine. Everything looked good but it still wouldn't flash. So I bit the bullet and bought a used droid x.