Rooting Droid vs G NEx

xev11

Reaction score
Not sure if its the right section

I previously had a the og droid and remember rooting using a superoneclick, this didnt reset the phone, it just added superuser and root access.

I now have the G Nex and have been reading that rooting it requires the unlock first, which resets the phone.

I'm wondering why it requires a reset if the bootloader is unlocked in the GNex, but wasn't on the Droid?
Just curious

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Good question. Starting to wonder why myself now.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
The boot loader on the GNex isn't unlocked. Its unlockable. Meaning you have to unlock it before you can gain root access (for now at least).

The D1s boot loader was technically not unlocked, however it just didn't care what you flashed on it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
The boot loader on the GNex isn't unlocked. Its unlockable. Meaning you have to unlock it before you can gain root access (for now at least).

The D1s boot loader was technically not unlocked, however it just didn't care what you flashed on it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
That's what I was thinking. I don't recall ever having to unlock the bootloader on the Droid when I did it, but that was many moons ago and I didn't quite remember right. Wasn't quite sure if we had to unlock the bootloader or not back then