Rooted Razr Maxx, how to remove bloatware?

steven6282

Reaction score
I've rooted my razr and I want to remove some of the bloatware off my phone now. How can I do this? I saw in another post someone listed what they removed without casuing any problems, but I can't find a way to remove a lot of this crap.

Also, I want to remove the version of Youtube appt hat came with the phone (2.3.4) and install an older version. Cause google stupidly made it so that the video auto pauses if you turn off the screen claiming it violates TOS to not be watching the video (as if you can't just change the tab on a computer lol). So if anyone knows where I can find an older version apk to install of that, that would be awesome too.

Thanks!

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
The best way is with the use of Root Explorer or Titanium Backup...root explorer will allow you to rename the apk's to .bak and tibu will allow you to freeze the apps...

I do not recommend deleting the apk's as you will need to restore them in order to take any official OTA's...

OP
S

steven6282

Reaction score
Hrmm, ok... I'm assuming these apks you mean to rename are the ones in /system/app ??

I didn't feel like paying 4 dollars for root explorer just to get rid of the bloatware so trying to do it in terminal emulator and it tells me I can't rename it because the file system is read only.

I tried this: Write on the Android Read-only file system « PocketMagic to make the file system read writable, but it just gave me a USAGE: as if I had not used the command correctly, but I typed it exactly as listed on that page.

Any further suggestions please?

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Just download Titanium Backup and freeze them. It's very simple, and you can do it for free.

OP
S

steven6282

Reaction score
Just download Titanium Backup and freeze them. It's very simple, and you can do it for free.

I'll look into it in a few minutes however that doesn't sound like what I want to do. I don't want to simply "freeze" them (sounds like nothing but preventing them from running). I want them gone, out of the way. As I said previously I want to replace the youtube app with an older version for example. If I simply freeze the app, is it going to let me install an older version in place of it?

weatherlover1

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I have not rooted the maxx yet but I froze bloatware on my charge using Titanium and it worked well and was very easy to do.

OP
S

steven6282

Reaction score
Well apparently can't even use Titanium Backup to freeze them without paying. Try to do it and it says can only be done in the donate only version... it's not a donation if it's required lol....

Can anyone tell me how to make my file system read / write so that I can simply rename them if that is all I need to do to get rid of them.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Try ES File Explorer, it is free and should allow you to access the system files...

Reaction score
I'll look into it in a few minutes however that doesn't sound like what I want to do. I don't want to simply "freeze" them (sounds like nothing but preventing them from running). I want them gone, out of the way. As I said previously I want to replace the youtube app with an older version for example. If I simply freeze the app, is it going to let me install an older version in place of it?

Freezing the apps does make them disappear. It not only prevents them from running but you won't even see them in your app drawer anymore. I personally do not freeze, I prefer to delete completely. The problem is, when you delete them you will not receive any future updates unless you do a restore. If you are not familiar with that process, freezing is the best option.

I have no answer or link for an older version of you tube.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Well apparently can't even use Titanium Backup to freeze them without paying. Try to do it and it says can only be done in the donate only version... it's not a donation if it's required lol....

Can anyone tell me how to make my file system read / write so that I can simply rename them if that is all I need to do to get rid of them.

Sorry about that. I thought freezing was part of the free version.

Well, if you're feeling adventurous you should be able to make backups and uninstall apps with the free version. You SHOULD BE okay uninstalling the bloat as long as you make backups that you can restore to when OTAs pop up.

I'd wait to see what others say, but that should be okay.

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Root explorer has option of switching from r/rw, but i believe its in the paid version ..

----posted maxx'ed out----

OP
S

steven6282

Reaction score
I found another website that tells the proper way to remount the file system as read write

mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

Source: Rooting Android - Android Wiki
Much simpler and free :) Now I can rename the apks...

Thanks for the help.