Removal of VZW Bloatware ok on Razr?

AndyR83

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have read that on some phones, removal of Verizon's bloatware (i.e. NFL app, VZ Navigator, etc) can cause problems. Is this still the case? Am I able to simply root this device and remove all the garbage I don't want?

Thanks!

z28nck33

Reaction score
I would not remove it. Just freeze it with tibu or Rom toolbox. If you remove vzw bloat it will cause future update problem

cmorty72

Reaction score
I would not remove it. Just freeze it with tibu or Rom toolbox. If you remove vzw bloat it will cause future update problem
Not true.
I've removed bloatware from phones like my OGD, D2, D3, X, X2, and my girlfriend's Fascinate, with great success. If anything, it improved the phone's speed and productivity.
Freezing the apps does just as good, but still take up space and memory.

Htown315

Reaction score
Not true.
I've removed bloatware from phones like my OGD, D2, D3, X, X2, and my girlfriend's Fascinate, with great success. If anything, it improved the phone's speed and productivity.
Freezing the apps does just as good, but still take up space and memory.

Actually he is right. Sometimes certain apps are required to be able to receive an ota. Kind of like a hidden key. Also if you go too far and remove an insignificant looking app that makes your primary apps function you are SOL(if there is no sbf available) . If you don't know exactly what you are doing just freeze with TB.

Stevessvt

Reaction score
I can't imagine Verizon would make it possible to remove them (unrooted) and have it mess up the phones upgrade ability. The nfl app and lets golf deleted fine, but the Verizon named ones would not. So uninstall what you can and hide the rest.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
I don't recommend deleting them. I suggest freezing bloatware instead. Like mentioned above, some bloatware need to be in tact to take any future OTA updates.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
But if needed I can do a recovery and get them back, right?

Is recovery available on the RAZR already? If it is, you can back up a stock/rooted setup and then restore it in the future to be able to take an OTA update.

That's what I've been doing with my DX. I make a stock backup just in case.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would just rename them using an app like root explorer or freeze using TiBu.

Yes deleting them is cool and all, but in reality you are making room in /system which you can't install anything to anyways (well you can manually).

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is recovery available on the RAZR already? If it is, you can back up a stock/rooted setup and then restore it in the future to be able to take an OTA update.

No recovery yet ATM.

Stevessvt

Reaction score

Actually I meant just doing a factory reset restores it back to new condition. Doesn't this restore it to new out of the box condition?

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Actually I meant just doing a factory reset restores it back to new condition. Doesn't this restore it to new out of the box condition?

No, it only deletes /data and /cache, it doesn't re-add apps.