rooted but hotspot not working

w-r-g

Reaction score
I have a DX and just rooted it successfully as I have the superuser icon. I rebooted the phone and started up the 3G hotspot and can connect to it but all I can get is the verizonwireless page explaining the 3g hotspot service. What more do I need to do to be able to get past this?

Thanks

OP
W

w-r-g

Reaction score
Oh so the built in hotspot will not work at all then unless you pay for it?

downtime57

Reaction score
Yes.

Either pay up to Verizon or Root and do what you want :) Although many have wisely opined that you should still keep your data transfers within relatively reasonable limits or risk some sort of reprisal from Verizon.

OP
W

w-r-g

Reaction score
Yep, right on. Wifi Tether works very smoothly. Thanks for the help guys.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Make sure you're running the latest version of the app -- in other words, get it from the link in my signature. The ones on the market are waaay out of date at this point, IIRC. I just get mine from the source. :)

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Yep, right on. Wifi Tether works very smoothly. Thanks for the help guys.
i am stuck on wifi tethering....can u help me out...not sure what i am doing wrong
Your name looks familiar, stranger. Have I been trying to help you with this problem already? If so, forgive me for not fixing it and/or not replying. Moving between my phone and my computer some new posts get lost in the shuffle.

What's the issue you're having? :)

skdroidx

Reaction score
thats ok...phone is rooted...have downloaded the most recent tether ....2.0.5 pre 11....turn on tethering and looks like it is working and doesnt connect to any wireless devices....turn on my 3g mobile hotspot and every device picks it up...of course not subsribed ...cant figure out why wireless tether wont work

skdroidx

Reaction score
and also ..i have wifi encryption enabled...any other settings i may be missing ?this is my fourth day on this and it is driving me crazy...seems like everyone elses is working but mine....do i need a special rom or kernel....rooting and dowloading wireless tethering is all i have done

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
That's what I thought. Like I said, swapping between the phone and my PC and I lost the thread.

<thinks> Please don't mind the smoke and smell of hot metal. ;)

And the devices see the Ad-Hoc network fine, but can't connect. What kind of error do the devices you're trying to connect to the phone give you?

skdroidx

Reaction score
no error at all...just doesnt see the wifi connection at all....until i turn on thje3g mobile hotspot...everything sees it fine...just doesnt see the wireless tether at all....everything is allowed on superusers permission...and all in green ...so everything looks good just not sending out the signal through the wireless tether

skdroidx

Reaction score
does the 3g mo bile hotspot need to be on at the same time as wireless tether

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
No it doesn't. If it's not seeing then there are a couple of things that it could be.

1, are you broadcasting SSID from the tether app?
2, are your devices capable of seeing an Ad-Hoc network?