Root

kramer56

Reaction score
Ok I can read and read and read about rooting. my question what would be the benefits for doing so? free hotspot? take it to 4G? what will I get out of it and what are the negs of doing it as well? Will it cause me to go over my 2gb or whatever the verizon unlimited/ capped gb usage lmao. Do i need a bigger sd card, how much does it cost me?

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Cant make 3g phone turn 4g without replacing the network card.

Rooting gives you super user acces. Just like on a windows computer.

You really have to wireless tether or stream music/videos a lot to go over 2GB a month. I use between 2-3.5 a month and have no troubles.

Do not need a bigger sd card. 8gb or so is just fine.

Costs nothing to root unless you buy certain paid apps in the market.

Hope this can help

OP
K

kramer56

Reaction score
But if I root I can tether my laptop to it without paying verizon or no? right now I only have 2gb card maybe thats why it runs a little slower? Should I be deleting my texts messages often or clearing my browser cache? that def would make it run faster tho correct? Any other benefits to doing it?

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea with a 2gb card you might want to upgrade to 8gb. I on average use about 4-5gb on my card and 1.5gb on my phone. Deleting messages and cleaning up the cache is never a bad idea. Should help with the speed a lil bit. Rooting also lets you get rid of bloatwear and other unwanted programs. Really there is almost to much to type to explain all you can do. Basically you can do almost anything you could imaging with your phone. Roms, OC, better battery life, and the ability to program and tinker with anything software related. Yes from what i have read you can tether what ever you want to even down to PS3's. I try to read and keep up with tethering but its a lot of info. Never heard of anyone running out of data tho. Seen people say they use 15gb+ but they are official devs and programmers. Search "data usage" in the google search box under the search tab at the top of the page and you will see some threads. Using 15gb+ of data is a lot but these people tether laptops and game systems and spend a lot of time streaming things.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/125621-average-monthly-data-usage.html

OP
K

kramer56

Reaction score
if I go over that 2gb do i get charged or is the unlimited really unlimted? does rooted even have anything to do with that?

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Rooting really has nothing to do with data usage. Its all user dependent. From what i know and seen on my bills unlimited really is unlimited

OP
K

kramer56

Reaction score
oh ok cool. So like right now unrooted if i hook my laptop to it i need to pay verizon to use it right? rooted I wouldnt have to?

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well you still pay for unlimited data but only thing i believe you pay for is 3g mobile hotspot when your stock. There are tethering apps for when your rooted tho. I havent read anywhere that you pay for it. I have 3G HS and just pay for unlimited data and thats all i see on my bill. Rooting is def worth it tho IMHO. I dont believe ill look back from the rooted world.

OP
K

kramer56

Reaction score
Im seriously leaning towards it to be honest but would love more info on why to do it and why not to do it lol. I like things to do what they are capable of doing.

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Best way to find out about rooting and everything you can do is hit the search tab and search "rooting" in the google search box under the search tab. I am still reading everything in the community

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
oh...but it isn't something that can be done from rooting your device.....I thought you were indicating there was a way to do it.....my bad.