root simply refuses to go away. help?

Reaction score
so a while back i attempted to make a nandroid backup and install sprecovery so i could have custom ROM's and all the cool stuff everyone was doing, but it didn't work out, and i decided to unroot... or root it again. one or the other. see right now i'm in this limbo of not being rooted, but not really being unrooted either. certain programs say im rooted, certain ones don't. mybackup pro asks me if i want to do special things with the program because i'm rooted, but programs like root explorer and easyroot do not function (although easyroot says i'm rooted).

when i boot up my droid into android system recovery, it says something along the lines of "error: cannot find e:\cache\recovery" which may have some about through pushing lines of code through adb/terminal emulator to do the nandroid nonsense. my root survived the update to 2.1 from 2.0.1 and the upgrade from 2.1 to 2.2. superuser permissions just will not leave, no matter how many OS upgrades i've been through, it remains. id just like to be in one form of root/unroot, preferably root so i can use ROM manager and do something cool. so, if you can help that'd be great. let me know if you need anymore information, thanks.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure I have a clear grasp on the status of your phone so if you can try a few things it may help.

1. When you initially rooted and installed SPR did you make a backup?
2. Did you ever install a terminal emulation app? If so, please open the app and type
SU The $ and see if the # appears.
3. Can you mount you phone and still use ADB?

Mike

OP
B
Reaction score
(1) no i never got that far. i attempted to flash a recovery? and it didn't appear to work, nothing ever changed with my phone.
(2) the terminal emulator says

$ export PATH=/data/local/bin:$PATH
$su
Permission denied
$

and (3) my phone does mount, for ADB i was never fully able to figure it out

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Follow the guide, link 1, in my sig. Should get you sorted out. If you have any questions on it, post in that thread as alot of eyes are on it and you should get quick help.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Based on your first two responses you are not currently rooted. What I'm still not clear on is why you phone has super user permissions. Is there a Ninja Icon in your apps drawer labeled Super User Permissions?

Additionally, I'm not clear on how you may have used ABD to corrupt the recovery process.

MyBackupPro will only work on rooted phones. When you open MyBackup Pro what is it asking you?

You mention EasyRoot indicating that you are rooted. Did you issues start after you used EasyRoot?

OP
B
Reaction score
yes, i have the ninja icon indicating superuser permissions. mybackup pro has worked with my phone so far, i use it all the time to backup my stuff. when i factory reset my phone and reloaded my apps, it indicated that the phone was rooted so i could do more than if i wasn't rooted. easyroot says "Congrats. You are rooted. You will need to reboot one time to complete this process. Launch the application again after the root and you will come straight to this screen. After that here are some applications that only work on a rooted phone that we would like to recommend to you:"

of course, none of the options work. i installed busybox and it says "Your phone is rooted. BusyBox was not found!" Then it says "The application failed, either because your device is not nand unlocked or we were unable to remount."

ROM Manager won't flash the ClockworkMod Recovery saying "An error occurred while attempting to run privileged commands!"

so somehow, programs on my phone think i'm rooted, but i'm not, and superuser permissions is still there.

the isses were before easyroot, i just downloaded it to see if it would unroot my phone, but it did nothing to remove the superuser permissions icon.

i very well could've corrupted it with ADB i had no idea what the hell i was doing -____-

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
No it will still work. The .sbf's don't care what you're running.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I must say I'm confused. If terminal emulation says you do not have SU permissions I wonder how some of the apps for rooted phones work.

Jason, could EasyRoot not set SU permissions?

Mike

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I must say I'm confused. If terminal emulation says you do not have SU permissions I wonder how some of the apps for rooted phones work.

Jason, could EasyRoot not set SU permissions?

Mike

Don't know what beside easy root is telling him he is rooted. If i'm not mistaken my backup pro doesn't need root.

I've seen the ninja stick around after OTA, but. Sbf back to 2.0.1 will solve that.

Sent from a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away