Root Question...

4shlr

Reaction score
Noob here when it comes to rooting...had the OG Droid for 2 years stock & now have the TBolt stock since it came out. Been very happy with stock Bolt but am thinking I'd like the free wifi hotspot available with root. My noob question is once you root do you have to add a certain ROM for the free wifi hotspot to work or will it work once rooted?? Any info would be great, thanks!

OP
4shlr

4shlr

Reaction score
Awesome thanks... Next noob question: where do I get the free wifi hotshot? Or do I just use the Verizon app but not get charged?? Thanks again

Also, are you rooted tbolt?

Sent from my 'Bolt

Dolfan

Reaction score
It will work on the stock ROM once you are rooted. No need for a certain ROM.

This post is Incredible 2!
I tryed rooting my droid the other day...got really no replys when I got in some trouble..so got out of the bootloop I was in and reloaded the stock setup and took the lastest stock update again...seems like the Tbolt has lost alot of the support it had

OP
4shlr

4shlr

Reaction score
So the revolutionary method is not working for me since I have the latest update from VZW, running 2.3.4, software # 2.11.605.9...from the searching I've done it looks like I need to downgrade to the older version for this method to work. The problem I have is this method says it won't wipe data, but downgrading to the older version says it will wipe data...Is there really no updated way to root 2.3.4 using revolutionary without data wipe??

Dolfan

Reaction score
I just went threw this...I got the downgrade loaded...the was going step by step with the revolution method video step by step...everything went just as the video said it would go, right up till the step that said hit power and revolutionary recovery would come up, thats where my phone would just go and reload the downgraded file I had already loaded....I was stuck in a loop and couldnt get any replys here to help me out, so I basically let the downgrade rom load then let the OTA update me again...and just stayed stock..

Dolfan

Reaction score
So the revolutionary method is not working for me since I have the latest update from VZW, running 2.3.4, software # 2.11.605.9...from the searching I've done it looks like I need to downgrade to the older version for this method to work. The problem I have is this method says it won't wipe data, but downgrading to the older version says it will wipe data...Is there really no updated way to root 2.3.4 using revolutionary without data wipe??

Let me know if you find something that works..

OP
4shlr

4shlr

Reaction score
Will do...

How did you get the downgrade loaded I can't even get that part done. I download the link for the file from here...[HOW-TO]Downgrade to get S-OFF after updating to latest OTA 2.11.605.9
I follow these instructions to the t, but when I am in the hboot screen and it loads the .zip file it doesn't give me this option:
9. When its done it will ask you to PRESS VOL UP TO UPDATE
10. press volume up at that time. (UP NOT DOWN!!)
11. It will take approximately 4 minutes to complete the downgrade
12. when its done it will say PRESS POWER TO REBOOT
13. Press power at that time
14. phone reboots completely wiped and back on 2.11.605.5

After it loads, all my options are just the standard hboot options of reboot, recovery, etc...

Any thoughts??

Let me know if you find something that works..

Dolfan

Reaction score
at the top of the white screen does it say s-off?

I could get the downgraded update...and then get all the wway thru to the point it is supposed to reboot to recovery mode...mine would just reload the downgrade zip file...I couldnt get anyone to help with what was happening tthere or why...so I just let it load...then the OTA kept trying to load..so with no replys to help me out I just took the OTA and stayed stock since then.

Last edited:

Dolfan

Reaction score
did it load the downgrade...if so now you follow the revolutionary way of getting s-off

Dolfan

Reaction score
as soon as I booted up from the downgrade update...the OTA was immediatly trying for me to upgrade...so you would know right off the bat rather or not you got the downgrade loaded...once you do ignore or cancel the OTA upgrade and try the revolutionary root process...thats where I got hung up

Last edited:
OP
4shlr

4shlr

Reaction score
I put the PG05IMG on the sd card on my phone, then unplug, pull battery, re install battery, hold power & vol down to get into hboot. It scans for the zip file, checks it, then when its done nothing has changed in the menu. Still just gives me the standard options of reboot, recover, sim lock...etc...I tried reboot but it just starts up normal still running the 2.11.605.9, I've tried the .5 and the .3 links with no dice.

It looks like I need to do this before I am able to do any of the revolutionary part, is that wrong?

Getting more & more tempted to just bite the bullet & do this:
http://www.halfcab123.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=HTC-THUNDERBOLT

did it load the downgrade...if so now you follow the revolutionary way of getting s-off

Dolfan

Reaction score
as far as I know yes you do have to have it downgrade first....as you see..no one jumps in here that might have worked thru this to help you better than I...thats why I gave up and just stayed stock...until something easier or for the new update comes out I guess we are on our own...its like everyone abandoned the TBOLT