Root Problems

JCo352

Reaction score
I followed all your instructions and the video (Guide to rooting 2.1 droid on a Motorola droid). Everything was the same except nothing happened when pressing allow update.zip installation. (I think that part was right) Then I hit /sdcard/update.zip (deprecated)

Then it says
Install from sdcard
Finding update package
Verifying update package
E: Can't open /sdcard/update.zip
(bad)
Installation aborted

I added the update.zip by dropping into sdcard from the mac

Yes I wiped data and cache
Help me LOL

Go into Astro(or what file manager you use) and see what the file is named. Make sure it is not "update.zip.zip"

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Couple things. Are you running 2.1 or 2.0.1? If you ran rsd lite and flashed the sprecovery sbf you have 2.1 which is ESE81. That's the official build number. At this point you're not rooted. Try downloading #5 in my sig. Its an update.zip of 2.1 with root. I would download straight to phone and rename and move with astro.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I followed all your instructions and the video (Guide to rooting 2.1 droid on a Motorola droid). Everything was the same except nothing happened when pressing allow update.zip installation. (I think that part was right) Then I hit /sdcard/update.zip (deprecated)

Then it says
Install from sdcard
Finding update package
Verifying update package
E: Can't open /sdcard/update.zip
(bad)
Installation aborted

I added the update.zip by dropping into sdcard from the mac

Yes I wiped data and cache
Help me LOL

It appears that you have a corrupt zip file. Just re download. How big is the file? What site are you downloading this file from?

Droidee

Reaction score
sadly nothing has worked. my end error is the E:can't open /sdcard/update.zip(bad)
Installation aborted.

now what? I thing I have gotten to the end of my rope. I keep thinking that it's right but it keeps beating me. i'm done no more suffrage. Downloaded same file, and nada. I give.

Last edited:

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Even after downloading straight to phone? I have heard macs unzip these automatically. In astro is the update a file or a box?

Droidee

Reaction score
OK. Let's go over the new reply after installing new update.zip from your number 5. I now received assertfail: apply_patch_check("MTD:boot:2502656:e79414e1774b152c9c3eca09f1be09f0be0c6b1b24e889:2504704:0b5ee101da4118aa026a32848f609fa4b05403e")
E:Error in /sdcard/update/zip
(status 7)
Installation aborted

First, is this possible to fix?
Second, I have gotten every now and then a message that says corrupt SDcard. Should I erase everything on the sdcard and if so how can it be done?

I've tried. This isn't fun anymore. Help me rescue squad. You are my last hope.

OP
J

jive495

Reaction score
So... I have the little ninja guy superuser icon but when I type "su" into my terminal emulator I get permission denied, that means Im not rooted?

Either Im not rooted and It wont let me root or Im rooted and I cant install anything, Im very confused.

OP
J

jive495

Reaction score
Ive tried everything on just about every website I could find to root/unroot my phone, whatever the problem may be. I just want to get it back to factory default so I can start this process over again. Am I a glutton for punishment, maybe, but this stuff really interests me and I want to learn how to do it but somehow Ive got my phone in some kind of limbo where I can neither mod or unmod it. My question is warranty or no can I take my phone back to Verizon and have them reflash it to factory default?

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
So... I have the little ninja guy superuser icon but when I type "su" into my terminal emulator I get permission denied, that means Im not rooted?

Either Im not rooted and It wont let me root or Im rooted and I cant install anything, Im very confused.

What process did you use to root your phone? When you open the SU (Ninja folder) is there anything in the folder?

Mike

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
OK. Let's go over the new reply after installing new update.zip from your number 5. I now received assertfail: apply_patch_check("MTD:boot:2502656:e79414e1774b152c9c3eca09f1be09f0be0c6b1b24e889:2504704:0b5ee101da4118aa026a32848f609fa4b05403e")
E:Error in /sdcard/update/zip
(status 7)
Installation aborted

First, is this possible to fix?
Second, I have gotten every now and then a message that says corrupt SDcard. Should I erase everything on the sdcard and if so how can it be done?

I've tried. This isn't fun anymore. Help me rescue squad. You are my last hope.

Before we proceed, can you remind me -- did you successfully install SPRecovery?
Mike

OP
J

jive495

Reaction score

What process did you use to root your phone? When you open the SU (Ninja folder) is there anything in the folder?

Mike

I followed this video [video=youtube;k4Hfs99vmHU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4Hfs99vmHU]YouTube - Motorola Droid How to ROOT your Droid - The Easy Way![/video]. I have nothing in the SU.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
OK this video was for phones that has the 2.0.1 OS(firmware). If you had that version great. If however, you had 2.1 then you need to follow this linkhttp://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-faqs/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html

What OS (firmware) did you have prior to rooting?

Mike

Droidee

Reaction score
Yes Mike. I successfully installed SPrecovery. Now what should I do? I really want to root my phone.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
You can install #5 in my sig gives you stock 2.1 with root then you can do whatever from there. If you need help with install process let me know.

Droidee

Reaction score
yes please. I could use your help. I did the install but I used my mac. Should I try to install on the vmware windows program first?