Root or Not to Root that is the question

Siouxsie

Reaction score
I am New to all things android and am trying to learn as much as possible. I am undecided on whether to root or not and would like to ask the community what the ups and downs are. I LOVE tinkering and getting inside
things to see how they work(regularly void warranties) and making them my own but with Very Limited(NO)funds if I brick my phone I am hosed!!
I have customized the Droid3 to where I like it so far and if I do root will it all be lost? Is it easy to convert back to stock? Am I treading where I don't belong in trying to own my phone as much as possible?
If I posted in the wrong place I apologize and if this is a stupid set of questions I am sorry.
Thank you in advance for anything advice,tips,tricks, etc.

I am with you. The main reason I would root would be to get a wireless hotspot but I believe you can do this with PDAnet without rooting so my top reason is gone. My second would be to remove bloatware but I don't think you can do that simply by rooting and there are other things needed that are not available yet. I'd probably be just doing it for tinkering sake which is not a good reason given the risk.

I don't see how you can even manage to brick your phone during the root process. I used oneclick root so all I had to do was open up the program on my computer then it says pug in the phone, now this is where you could mess it up. If you have a sudden urge to unplug your phone during the automatic root process and just can't resist but to unplug it. Other than that it will do everything on its own, you just watch it restart it self three times and then it will say its done then you unplug it, that's all it takes. After that then you can get apps to freeze or remove bloatware, different roms, maybe someday soon overclock it, free mobile hotspot

I hear you....my issues are a couple of things (speaking personally don't want to hijack the thread)

1. Not sure if, once rooted, things like the most recent OTA would be missed or would screw up the phone
2. My understanding is there is no need to root for wifi hotspot with PDAnet
3. Not even sure how to install a ROM or back it out once rooted.
4. Not sure how to un-root

So in a nutshell, I think I could easily root it...but then what? Not a lot of step by step guides for noobs like me once its rooted....Trying to educate myself but it's been difficult.

I hear you....my issues are a couple of things (speaking personally don't want to hijack the thread)

1. Not sure if, once rooted, things like the most recent OTA would be missed or would screw up the phone
2. My understanding is there is no need to root for wifi hotspot with PDAnet
3. Not even sure how to install a ROM or back it out once rooted.
4. Not sure how to un-root

So in a nutshell, I think I could easily root it...but then what? Not a lot of step by step guides for noobs like me once its rooted....Trying to educate myself but it's been difficult.

1. WHen you root most people use custom ROMs. these are like modified firmware. they usually have all the bloatware taken out and mods to make the phone better and faster. So when you root the developer will put the upgrades in the ROM for you. or you can simply unroot and update, then root again

2. Rooting is supposed ot allow different tehtering methods, but its nothing i ever looked into

3. Go to the steel droid page subforum under ROMs for Droid 3. it has lik 11 steps to install a rom. they look weird but its really really easy. and ill be happy to help.

4. unroot is jsut a clikc of a button.

@scott240 it is possible to brick it but very hard. but somehow i managed to do it my first itme. i got stuck in an infinite boot. went to verizon, told them it randomly statred doing that. THis was when i had a droid x2. then i told them i didnt want the droid x2 anymore cus it kept giving me problems and they gave me a free droid 3. i bricked that one while rooting and they gave me another droid 3. but to let you guys know, they bricked because i didnt follow directions, not because there was anything hard about it

I installed the seel rom and still no wifi tether capability. If you try barnacle it will give you an error saying port already in use. So I have to do the fm hack again, but if you are scared about rooting I don't suggest you try the fm hack just yet because its alot more involved and can mess things up. But there are clear instructions about how to do it.

I installed the seel rom and still no wifi tether capability. If you try barnacle it will give you an error saying port already in use. So I have to do the fm hack again, but if you are scared about rooting I don't suggest you try the fm hack just yet because its alot more involved and can mess things up. But there are clear instructions about how to do it.
in the op of steel droid he gives you a link to tether beacause its not included

I just looked for the hotspot add on but its not an add on, there is a link a little further down that just gives you the directions fof the fm hack. So it looks like I still have to do the fm hack

Rooting your phone has many benefits over a non rooted phone. The first benefit is to remove, or in this case freeze (Titanium Backup) unwanted or unneeded apps. For those worried about OTA updates, it would behoove you to choose the freeze method to disable stock apps instead of completely removing them. There seems to be a system check included with the official updates that causes them to fail should a device not have the apps loaded that are locked. OTA updates do intact still work and install whether or not you phone is rooted, however a reroot will be required. As far as the free wireless tethering and hotspot, root is not required since to my knowledge there is no other functional method other than the hack mentioned earlier. The speed increase obtained by disabling stock apps makes rooting worthwhile all by itself, but the access granted to system folders and files means the ability to customize visually ever aspect of your UI (ROMS). For me one of the main reasons I love Android phones is because they operate on open-sourced software. This benefit is lost if you allow open-source to remain locked.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

So if I already have the OTA update then I should be able to root with no problem? Provided I follow directions to a tee, or if I use the Oneclick method it should be difficult for me to screw it up?
And the way I have the phone configured before rooting should not change, correct?
I am being uber cautious because as the saying goes curiosity killed the cat and due to being overly curious I have done enough near fatal damage to pc/laptop/tv/ and most of the appliances in my house. None beyond repair mind you but........

Oneclick should be fairly self explanatory and easy. When you get into the ROM, IMO it gets a bit trickier. The steel-rom subforum does have step by step directions but for someone like me who is unfamiliar with some of the terminology I have to admit I am struggling. But lots of folks on here seem to have done it.

So if I already have the OTA update then I should be able to root with no problem? Provided I follow directions to a tee, or if I use the Oneclick method it should be difficult for me to screw it up?
And the way I have the phone configured before rooting should not change, correct?

If you use Pete's One Click, you will be amazed at how simple it is. Follow the directions and you will not fail. Rooting, in and of itself, will not alter the appearance or performance of your phone. It won't remove anything, it will only add functionality or access to features you've not been able to use before.

I would highly recommend checking out the Steel Droid ROM. In a work, it rocks. I don't use any of Moto or Verizon's bloat-ware so I'm not missing anything when I go to a ROM that's more AOSP based (Android Open Source Project) than BLUR. That would mean your mileage may vary. If you love/pay for visual voicemail, you may only want to ROOT your phone and not play with many/any ROM's. If you aren't using Verizon's add-on applications then you won't miss anything and you WILL gain a measure of sanity. My phone was really starting to aggravate me at times...until I got it ROM'd with Steel Droid.

One other observation. If you decide to Root and/or ROM you should try to support the developers if at all possible. Even a couple of bucks is a nice gesture.

Ok so I am convinced. Love open source and supporting those who pave the way for all of us. Soon as i get uninterrupted time gonna root-whoohoo. Can't wait to freeze all the Junk on my phone!!
Thanks guys.

Ok so I am convinced. Love open source and supporting those who pave the way for all of us. Soon as i get uninterrupted time gonna root-whoohoo. Can't wait to freeze all the Junk on my phone!!
Thanks guys.

You wont be disappointed, If you feel up to it and want to try the fm hack you can always pm me and I will help or call you and talk you through it. I just did my 2nd fm hack and it was easier to to it this time because I knew what to do and when I restarted my phone and no sd card detected for about 3 min I wasn't as scared this time.

Back