Root only: Enable 32-bit color display output on your X2

Jason.DROID

Reaction score
/sys/class/graphics/fb0/bits_per_pixel

You'll be disappointed to know that it ships stock with 16-bit color (65,535) output. We are display limited, but allowing the display to have a wider color gamut can only help when looking at pictures or even playing games. There's quite a bit of color dithering at 16-bit and it's worsened with the poor Pentile screen Motorola chose.

Anyway:
open the file with rw root permissions,
change 16 to 32,
and save.

The screen will flicker briefly and it'll now display 32-bit (24-bit color + 8 bit alpha). Don't expect banding to go away with grayscale things like Android's widgets. This is primarily for color banding seen in pictures or other complex color things.

merf658

Reaction score
What is rw permission? Do I need a certain file editing program to do this?:blink:

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
read/write
like es file explorer
may not be set rw as default

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

seawolfx13

Reaction score
/sys/class/graphics/fb0/bits_per_pixel

You'll be disappointed to know that it ships stock with 16-bit color (65,535) output. We are display limited, but allowing the display to have a wider color gamut can only help when looking at pictures or even playing games. There's quite a bit of color dithering at 16-bit and it's worsened with the poor Pentile screen Motorola chose.

Anyway:
open the file with rw root permissions,
change 16 to 32,
and save.

The screen will flicker briefly and it'll now display 32-bit (24-bit color + 8 bit alpha). Don't expect banding to go away with grayscale things like Android's widgets. This is primarily for color banding seen in pictures or other complex color things.

Hows this affect your battery life? Is it noticeable.

Robster

Reaction score
I did this to mine and cannot notice any difference in the display. Does changing this setting really do anything?

Gblake13

Reaction score
Would like to know what this does for the display and for battery life.

Sent from my MB870 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2