Root Eris Without Service?

snowBlind

Reaction score
Is there a way to root a Droid Eris without any service on the phone [making it unable to get to the screen to mount the phone as a usb device]?

My wife upgraded her phone to the HTC Thunderbolt months ago, and we were going to put her Eris on Craigslist.. but I feel bad that the stock Android 2.x from the OTA update made this phone a buggy POS... so I figured the least I could do was root it before selling it.

Any help would be appreciated! I want to avoid temporarily having to activate it just to do this, and then reactive my phone afterwards.

--- EDIT ----
Seriously.. after posting this my brain started to semi-function and I thought '...just put the card in the computer, put the files on the card, and then move it back to the phone...'. Needless to say I can't delete this thread, so, my apologies for littering the forum!

Last edited:

stang64

Reaction score
Try touching the 4 corners of the screen when you're at the activation screen. Start top left, top right, bottom right and bottom left, it worked with my X2. Hopefully it works with you're Eris.

Sent from my Rezound

doogald

Reaction score
Try touching the 4 corners of the screen when you're at the activation screen. Start top left, top right, bottom right and bottom left, it worked with my X2. Hopefully it works with you're Eris.

The OP reported that his issue was cleared. But, just to clarify, the four corners touch method does not work with a stock Eris. You can, however, allow it to try to activate, disconnect immediately; repeat this about three times, and it will give up and continue with the normal Android activation. From there, you can root pretty easily with the 1-click Eris root app in the market (assuming, of course, that you have WiFi to connect to the Android market. If not, you can sideload the app as well.)