ROMS and Wifi tether, any suggestions.

VexedVirgo

Reaction score
I'm on vzw 4.1.2 and still pretty new to root and roms, so I'm just kinda stumbling my way through things still. This is the first phone I've rooted, and honestly I did it mostly for wifi tether capability after the 4.1.2 OTA basically killed it. I started off just using stock after finding the SQLite entitlement fix, but of course I became curious about all the possibilities of ROMS.

I've only tried a few roms, (Jiquid Smooth, Eclipse JB, and AOKP. I have CM 10 just waitng to be flashed) tried a bunch of tether apps, but only been able to get a hotspot from one rom (Eclipse JB, which specifically has tether included and patched into rom) I'm still looking for new ones to try, but was wondering if anyone knows of a rom, or a rom/tether app combo that works.

I like to look at a bunch of options then go back to the one I liked best, but I wouldn't mind a little help narrowing it down if anyone has had success in this department.

Tether apps I've tried: TrevE Mod, Foxfi, Barnacle, Wireless Tether for Root Users, One Click, etc. etc.

kwyrt

Reaction score
The built in tethering function works in Avatar. Tested this morning with both my desktop at home and my Nook Simple Touch. Desktop at first said "no internet connectivity" after connecting but after a minute or so all was fine. Had zero issues connecting my Nook and browsing B&N's online book store. Since Avatar uses CM10.1 as a base I would assume the built in tether works there too.

OP
V

VexedVirgo

Reaction score
Thanks, I plan on flashing CM tonight, and have Avatar downloaded, I'll probably try it next. Thanks for the tip.

Edit: Just flashed CM and wifi tether works with no problem or extra apps needed.

mgoben

Reaction score
The built in tethering function works in Avatar. Tested this morning with both my desktop at home and my Nook Simple Touch. Desktop at first said "no internet connectivity" after connecting but after a minute or so all was fine. Had zero issues connecting my Nook and browsing B&N's online book store. Since Avatar uses CM10.1 as a base I would assume the built in tether works there too.

What built in tether? I couldn't find one in Avatar 3.0 so i tried downloading wifi tether with no luck. Avatar has also been an annoyance constantly having to open terminal and running wifical.sh just to use my wifi. I would also love to find a decent rom/tether combo as I wasn't having any luck on Eclipse either. I tried upgrading from Eclipse 1.3 to 1.6 but it never gets past the boot screen after flashing.

Anyone having luck on a stable rom with working wifi and tether?

kwyrt

Reaction score
What built in tether? I couldn't find one in Avatar 3.0 so i tried downloading wifi tether with no luck. Avatar has also been an annoyance constantly having to open terminal and running wifical.sh just to use my wifi. I would also love to find a decent rom/tether combo as I wasn't having any luck on Eclipse either. I tried upgrading from Eclipse 1.3 to 1.6 but it never gets past the boot screen after flashing.

In Avatar, got to System Settings - More - Tether and portable hotspot. Check the box and you're off. I haven't had any issues with wifi personally. I had to run wifical once, like 5 builds ago, and haven't had an issue since. Maybe just lucky. I know others have had wifi issues with this and other 4.2.2 ROMs.

P.S. There is a new 3.01 build of Avatar you could try. Also, I've seen others with wifi issues post they have used a script manager to autorun wifical at boot.

Droid 4 - Avatar

OP
V

VexedVirgo

Reaction score
I would also love to find a decent rom/tether combo as I wasn't having any luck on Eclipse either. I tried upgrading from Eclipse 1.3 to 1.6 but it never gets past the boot screen after flashing.

I never got around to trying avatar because as i mentioned when i flashed CM 10.1 (benchmark not a nightly) i was able to get a mobile hotspot through settings. I know an update has been released, I did flash it but got too frustrated with buggy issues and went back to previous version before giving complete once over, but overall cyanogenmod has had best mix of features/settings I like with the advantage of mobile wifi

As for eclipse I found it on this forum and with flashing all the patches had no issues, but if you're having problems try their thread (link will be below) there's a lot of good info there, plus because it's an active thread, if you post a question you'll likely get help that could get it working. Good luck in finding a rom that works out for you.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-4-roms/239968-eclipse-jb-droid-4-a.html