ROM Manager Question

buellboy9

Reaction score
Is there any way to get ROM Manager and ClockWork Mod to save their backups to sdcard-ext (the external SD card) instead of the internal card?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Is there any way to get ROM Manager and ClockWork Mod to save their backups to sdcard-ext (the external SD card) instead of the internal card?

Do your backup while actually in the Clockwork recovery. If you use Rom Manager to do the backups, they will go to the sdcard and you will then have to copy them to the sdcard-ext. If you do the backups in CWM, they will save to the sdcard-ext.

OP
B

buellboy9

Reaction score
Ask and you shall receive. Latest version of ROM Manager from the Market now lets you save directly to sdcard-ext!

Zane_Grey

Reaction score
I was surprised how fast koush implemented this I emailed him last week about it. Only thing I can't get to work is disabling the progress bar for quicker backups. It works for restores?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

kool_zero

Reaction score
So I just rooted my RAZR and installed ROM Manager. 2 questions:

1. Do I need to backup if I am not installing any other roms?
2. When I try to backup the current rom, it says I need ClockworkMod Recovery, and when I press Install, it doesn't have the RAZR listed as a device...

Any and all help is appreciated!

eidian

Reaction score
I don't think that ROM Manager supports the Razr (I haven't checked in a while though).

The best thing to do is to use Safestrap and enable Safe mode before you install a ROM. Safe mode will create a back up of your original configuration and will allow you to install a ROM from the bootloader.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

custompro98

Reaction score
I don't think that ROM Manager supports the Razr (I haven't checked in a while though).

The best thing to do is to use Safestrap and enable Safe mode before you install a ROM. Safe mode will create a back up of your original configuration and will allow you to install a ROM from the bootloader.

safestrap is no longer recommended or supported by the devs unless you're doing the ic3razr alpha build. there's no point in it since we have fastboot files and the bootstrap

eidian

Reaction score
safestrap is no longer recommended or supported by the devs unless you're doing the ic3razr alpha build. there's no point in it since we have fastboot files and the bootstrap

So it's not that it's "harmful" to use Safestrap--it's just not necessary anymore? That makes sense, but wouldn't Safestrap save some time reverting back?

custompro98

Reaction score
So it's not that it's "harmful" to use Safestrap--it's just not necessary anymore? That makes sense, but wouldn't Safestrap save some time reverting back?

You are correct, it's not harmful just not necessary. Safestrap would save time, but you'd have dual booting os's. For most people it would be fine--unless you're a clean freak like me :p

eidian

Reaction score
You are correct, it's not harmful just not necessary. Safestrap would save time, but you'd have dual booting os's. For most people it would be fine--unless you're a clean freak like me :p

Good point; you just made me realize that by not using safe strap, you save over a gig of memory by NOT having a backup stored in the internal memory also.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums

kool_zero

Reaction score
U must dl to ur computer and install

So are you all recommending fastboot files and bootstrap? I am totally new to Android so can someone please link me to an area that tells exactly what/how to install those if that is the recommended direction. Thanks for the help!

bogginblazer

Reaction score

Why cant u just make a back up with bootstraps? Why the added program?

kool_zero

Reaction score
I'm not too concerned with loading a new rom at this point, just freezing bloatware and making a backup.