ROM Manager does nothing

chrisrcarey

Reaction score
I am completely new to rooting and to be honest the main reason I wanted to root was to Access wifi tethering. I tried barnacle and open garden, neither worked, connected items just went to verizons hotspot sign up page. Read that you had to use radiocomm, got a link but told should create a nandroid backup first. Downloaded Rom Manager, did the Flash Clockwork recovery to setup then clicked backup current rom but all it does is restart my phone. Once rebooted I look in manage my roms and there is nothing in there.

Please help me, I am desperate to get my D2G to wifi tether but I want to move forward knowing if I screw something up it will be backed up and I can start over.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Hi again Chris :)

On a phone with a locked bootloader (like your D2G) ROM Manager will not work to boot into recovery to perform the back up. You need an app called Bootstrap. It can be found on the market and once you have it you can boot into clockwork and perform the nandroid.

OP
C

chrisrcarey

Reaction score
Hey man, thanks for all your help.

Ok so once I get bootstrap installed I run bootstrap recovery or reboot recovery....

And then I run rom manager?

Anything else special I will have to do? What is the risk in running bootstrap?

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
When using bootstrap you hit the top button first (bootstrap recovery), once the success message pops up - hit OK, and then hit the bottom button (reboot recovery). This will boot you into Clockworkmod Recovery where you can use the menus to create the full nandroid back up.

If you hit the top button and get the "Success" you *SHOULD* be able to switch to ROM Manager and use it to perform the back up. If it just reboots the phone then you need to do what I outlined first.

And as far as things going wrong with Bootstrap, the answer is yes. Not because of bootstrap but because there is a risk with all of the stuff we do while rooting and modding our phones. The good thing is there are ways to recover. I strongly suggest before you move on you do some research on how to "SBF your phone" which is what you will need to do is something ever goes wrong.

OP
C

chrisrcarey

Reaction score
Ok, so got a basic understanding of sbf but here is my return question. Where do you get the GB 2.3.3 sbf and also the program u flash it with? Or could u flash it with rom manager?

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
As far as I know there is no GB .sbf for the D2G. You would need to flash a froyo one and then take the OTA update to get back to GB.

And you can not flash it with ROM Manager like a zip file. You need to use RSD Lite to do it and you can find it free if you Google for it. Many times in the threads or posts that contain the .sbf there will also be a link to download RSD.

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Try using this link
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=180065
Jonas wrote this and others contributed to make us noobs able to get smart (well...not as dangerous, at least) on rooting, ROMs, SBF, etc. Lots of links, lots of info.....good read if you are just starting to explore it all
Good lucka

skript_kidee

Reaction score
Bootstrap is your only option with stock ROM. Try using CM7 or Liberty (Liberty Toolbox). They have built in custom recovery images.
:)

tch1981

Reaction score
heaven send

this thread has helped me out a ton, just when i thought i knew what i was doing...i was wrong. waaay wrong! thanks for helping my headache as well.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
this thread has helped me out a ton, just when i thought i knew what i was doing...i was wrong. waaay wrong! thanks for helping my headache as well.

Nice!! Happy to hear this thread was able to help you out!!