Rogue Droid - HUGE ISSUE!!!!

russwhite

Reaction score
maybe those who are buying these chargers off ebay and its screwing up their phone should leave negative or at least a neutral feedback to the seller. I checked the ebay charger link and after 34 pages of checking the review, not one negative or neutral review regarding the charger.

You have a good point. In my case I felt I should email the supplier before leaving negative feedback. I received a reply indicating they were very sorry and agreeing that the problem exists and saying they have ordered chargers compatible with the Droid. I will be receiving the "new" charger in the near future and have agreed to try it out before leaving the negative feedback. Russ

demnogis

Reaction score
I feel i must comment now... my droid eris has started sending random texts out.

heem

Reaction score
Mine did similar with a cheapy charger i bought.

Also, tigger, if the droid is linux, or like linux (its linux), and it cant get viruses,

Linux CAN get viruses, and rootkitted, etc - it's just that virus writes are not really currently targetting that platform. Please don't think that because something is Linux that it's immune from malware.

I'm a hardcore Linux user and professional Linux admin. I'm the first one to defend Linux against anything - but it's foolish to think that it's impossible for malware to exist just because it's Linux.

mhsbrian

Reaction score
Mine did similar with a cheapy charger i bought.

Also, tigger, if the droid is linux, or like linux (its linux), and it cant get viruses,

Linux CAN get viruses, and rootkitted, etc - it's just that virus writes are not really currently targetting that platform. Please don't think that because something is Linux that it's immune from malware.

I'm a hardcore Linux user and professional Linux admin. I'm the first one to defend Linux against anything - but it's foolish to think that it's impossible for malware to exist just because it's Linux.

As a Linux Admin I'd imagine you would have to know that Linux could only get a virus once root access is obtained right ?

The phone cannot get a virus if it doesn't have root access because the virus wouldn't have permissions to access the system folders or libraries...

/end

heem

Reaction score
A virus doesn't. Always need root level access - there's plenty of damage that can be done as the users context think of all the things you can do with your phone. Any software can do all those things, so while a tradititional virus may not be able to propegate automatically its quite possible for malware to spread by tricking less savvyh users into installing what looks lkike cute or fun software that is actually doing who knows what with your contact list, emailing them, texting them, I'M them - all under your name which the other user may trust. So just because you can't modify the kernel or some other system files doesn't mean that malicious software can't exist.

cgarnes

Reaction score
Hmm. Chargers, huh? Well, I bought an additional AC charger from Verizon for my Droid, and it's branded as a "Cellet". When my Droid is plugged in on my nightstand, I have noticed it does some pretty weird things. Granted, it has not ordered pizza, or sent any text messages, or anything along those lines, but what bothers me is that when I try to check messages, my touchscreen goes all crazy.

Let me give an example: When I try to use my unlock code to get to my home screen, it goes in all directions, and I get red arrows. I can not get my unlock code to function AT ALL until I unplug the Droid from the charger. If I try to do it while the phone is lying flat, it does that, and if I hold the phone in my hand, it does that, too. All I get is "red arrows" when I should just be able to get my unlock pattern to work. I find that odd. I have never, ever, had to do that with any of my other smartphones (Cingular 8125 and the HTC PPC-6800), and I find it odd that this happens with the Droid.

I'm wondering if there is something wrong with my charger, even though I did buy it from Verizon.

Here's the info on the charger:

Input: 100V - 240V 47-63hz 0.2A
Output: 4.5V - 9.5V Max 0.8A
Model: TCMOTQ9

Daywalker

Reaction score
Cheap Ebay charger MELTED my Motorocker last year was just lucky truck did not burn

ajs410

Reaction score
Car PC enthusiasts have known for some time that using an inverter will cause problems with a laptop's touch pad. The dirty DC from a car getting inverted into a crappy "sine wave" and getting rectified back into an awfully noisy DC signal again drives the touch sensing circuitry nuts.

Someone should hook a crappy charger up to an oscope and check its ripple, compared to an OEM charger.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
That is very weird...I use my Kindle charger all the time with the droid and have no problems.

Yes, and it's likely a higher quality charger not made in a Chinese Tallow Rendering factory. Some of those el-cheapo Chinese generic chargers I wouldn't even plug into my outlets, i'd be too fearful of burning the house down.

Reaction score
so can someone tell me the best long charging cable i can get and where link would be nice id like 10 foot ???

heem

Reaction score
so can someone tell me the best long charging cable i can get and where link would be nice id like 10 foot ???

Can't provide a link, since I bought it a long time ago.. but in my car i'm using a "lighter" plug in with a usb port on it. Cost 27 cents on amazon. Seriously. That plus the right USB cable is working great for me in the car. I think if you arent going to buy a cable right from verizon (that you can return and yell about if it messes up..) then you might just have to play trial and error...

FoFa

Reaction score
Ibought 2 micro USB cables, 6 foot, off eBay, paid a whopping $2.99 each for them with free shipping. They said gold plated contacts also (can't see them, so can not verify that).
But both work just fine on the computer, or with the wall adapter that came with the phone.