River Raid!

Utumno

Reaction score
A clone of the classic scrolling shooter River Raid has just been released to the Market!

Check out video: [video=youtube;jbbg2Pkb-ZE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbbg2Pkb-ZE"]YouTube - River Raid: classic game now in your Nokia & Android phone![/video]

If you like it, try out the free version: search the Market for 'river raid' . Full version of course also available :)

[Mod Edit - removed external link]

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
haha, I remember playing that on my atari :)

OP
U

Utumno

Reaction score
Well, it is something decidedly old school ( 28 years old already! ) but - IMHO with accelerometer controls, it is even more playable than the original :)

solar

Reaction score
I kinda miss the plane though. it was a plane not a boat right??

OP
U

Utumno

Reaction score
yes, but in an interview, River Raid's creator - Carol Shaw - ( probably the first woman in the business, BTW ) says that it was supposed to be a boat in the original too, and only ended up a plane because with such small resolution ( Atari IIRC had 112x172 ) they couldn't draw a good-looking boat. If you think about it, actually a boat makes much more sense there :)

read the interview here: RIVER RAID

Besides, in my clone I have special levels ( 'lakes' ) where submarines chase you around and shoot torpedoes. Now a submarine torpedoing a plane, that would be too far stretched...

solar

Reaction score
yes, but in an interview, River Raid's creator - Carol Shaw - ( probably the first woman in the business, BTW ) says that it was supposed to be a boat in the original too, and only ended up a plane because with such small resolution ( Atari IIRC had 112x172 ) they couldn't draw a good-looking boat. If you think about it, actually a boat makes much more sense there :)

read the interview here: RIVER RAID

Besides, in my clone I have special levels ( 'lakes' ) where submarines chase you around and shoot torpedoes. Now a submarine torpedoing a plane, that would be too far stretched...

Yeah, I always though it was a bit odd that my plane was flying low enough to crash into boats and bridges, lol.

Its a pretty good clone. The only issue i'm having is in "free roaming" mode. The accellerometer controls are a bit sensitive. I end up going in a cirrcle a lot more then I intend. hard keyboard controld might be a nice option on an onscreen control.

OP
U

Utumno

Reaction score
Also, some screenshots:

market320x480.png

market480x800.png