Risk of rooting

mkjellgren

Reaction score
I'm down with donating. Especially after all the help I got from xda today while rooting lol. So how do i set up profiles? It has the default 1228 mhz max 245 mhz min ondemand set up. But I don't know what that means...

I'd like it to underclock when the screen is off and overclock when it's on but then have a temperature setting so if it gets too hot it slow down just in case. This app is pretty confusing to a noob like me :D Don't even know where to start

To set up profiles simply click "profiles"... ;-)

You're gonna want to set up a couple different profiles if you want it to monitor temps as well. First set up a profile for screen off. Set it to either 245min 245 max or 245 min 368 max. I haven't heard any problems thus far with the tbolt not being able to handle 245-245. Some other android phones (namely the d1) had a few issues with incoming calls and such with those type of settings but as I said, the tbolt seems to handle those clock speeds just fine. You're just going to want to make sure you set the priority on this profile higher than on all of the other profiles as you want your cpu underclocked at all times while the screen is off.
As far a temp profile goes, none of the current kernels have cpu temp monitoring. The best you can do is use the battery temp and hope the cpu temp is similar. It's not always an accurate depiction of cpu temp. In terms of battery temps though, try to stay below 50C (I stay below 45C battery temps just to be safe). It's starts to feel warm in the mid 40's but in reality these batteries are pretty safe up to about 60C. Set that battery temp profile somewhere where you are comfortable with the speed but will allow the cpu will cool down.
You can also set profiles to decrease clock speed when the battery level is low in order to save battery. You really just have to experiment to see what works for you.
As far as governors go, the best choice with the stock kernel is "on-demand". There are other kernels available on ROM manager and in the forums that will lower the voltage (to save battery) and in some cases overclock to 1.5ghz and above. These kernels may very well have different governors available. Usually the "smartass" governor is the best choice but some phones respond better to "on-demand" and "interactive" governors. So again, you just have to experiment and find out what works best for you.

Best of luck!!!

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Last edited:

iNfAMOUS702

Reaction score
Nat3mil has great videos on rooting the thunderbolt for noobs..everything from setting up adb..drivers...to the actual root process...watch these 1st if ur a lil nervous about using adb

http://www.youtube.com/user/nat3mil

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
I

Its TwiX

Reaction score
Okay. I set up these:

Temp > 45°C 576 max 245 min
Priority 82
(didn't really know what to do with this priority)

Screen off 245 min 245 max
Priority 75

Is there any others I should do for charging or anything else?

Last edited:

mkjellgren

Reaction score
Okay. I set up these:

Temp > 45°C 576 max 245 min
Priority 82
(didn't really know what to do with this priority)

Screen off 245 min 245 max
Priority 75

Is there any others I should do for charging or anything else?

Reverse those priorities. You want the screen off priority higher than any others. Also, you could probably afford to go a bit higher with that 45C profile. You could definitely get away with 768 or 806.

If you want to do a charging profile that's up to you. The phone tends to run hotter while charging so some people like to drop the speed a little bit. It's all up to you based on your personal experience. Every tbolt will perform a little differently so you really just gotta try everything and see what works.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
You also need to set up some type of screen on profile, otherwise it will just sit on the screen off one because it has nothing else to swap to.

Sent from my Liberated D2G

cpjr

Reaction score
You also need to set up some type of screen on profile, otherwise it will just sit on the screen off one because it has nothing else to swap to.

Not sure I follow? I use only a screen off profile and it disables that profile as soon as the screen is back on.

skruid

Reaction score
The risk of not rooting is, and staying stock and conforming to bloatware getting What Verizon gives, imo. Not rooting means your phone will slow down and you can't do anything about, so I say root and enjoy yourself

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score

Not sure I follow? I use only a screen off profile and it disables that profile as soon as the screen is back on.

Odd..... maybe its something with the way the tb handles it but when I only had a screen off profile (before I had progressive underclock for battery levels) it would stick on the screen off profile.

mkjellgren

Reaction score
^ you do not need a screen on profile. In fact, such a profile does not exist. The frequencies set on the main screen of setcpu are your screen on frequencies. You do however need to disable perflock by hitting the menu button on the main setcpu screen in order for your profiles to work correctly if you are running the stock kernel. Custom kernels will usually have perflock disabled by default.

Viper Daimao

Reaction score
How are future updates (both firmware and android os) handled once rooted? Will I have to install them separately myself? Are the advanced Android OS custom roms that come out worth it compared to waiting for the official TB gingerbread release in Q2?

mkjellgren

Reaction score
How are future updates (both firmware and android os) handled once rooted? Will I have to install them separately myself? Are the advanced Android OS custom roms that come out worth it compared to waiting for the official TB gingerbread release in Q2?

Running a custom recovery will, in most cases, block any ota updates pushed by vzw. It's really a non-issue though since root users will almost always have optimized versions of updates far before the official update is pushed. In terms of GB, ChevyNo1 has already put together a stock, vanilla android proof of concept GB build for the tbolt. Many things still don't work (no Google apps, no mobile data, etc.). But the fact that a build exists and is being worked on is proof positive of my previous point. So to answer your question, yes, running custom roms is almost always worth it compared to waiting for official otas.

viper1549

Reaction score
Hookbill...you bricked your D2? Bricked, as in totally unusable and unrecoverable? like...you can't even flash a stock recovery and Rom anymore? That would suck.

Nate

sent from my thunderbolt using touch input do prone to typing errors.

That's what I'm saying. Matter of fact that's what I was doing, I was trying to load stock Froyo 2.2 from the leaked stock Gingerbread 2.3. I did everything right, the sbf was successful (passed) but it would not boot past the M. I could access the bootloader and recovery but nothing worked. I wiped at least 3 times and did 3 sbf. All 3 said passed, OK and it would not recover.

That's why I say even if you know what you're doing stuff can still happen. I'm a believer now, it's not always user error. To get back on topic, I'm just pointing out that your risk is minimal as you can always get the phone replaced so long as you have warranty, but stuff can happen. Just the nature of the beast.

had the same problem on my roomates DX.. he is VERY unfamiliar with flashing roms and he tried to put GB on his own anyway without me being there..

Installed the SBF i had twice then kept reading to find out i was using the wrong SBF for the bootloader i had.. i was trying to load a 3.03 bootloader SBF on a 3.04 bootloader..

thank goodness the new SBF fixed it.. scared him pretty good i dont think he will be trying to flash without supervision anymore.. lol