Ringtones / Notifications?

micp1480

Reaction score
Ok, I have exhausted all measures to accomplish what I believe is the impossible. Here is what I am attempting to do. I would like to add new email tones to incoming email. I down loaded several tones from Zedge, and I was able to save them as ring tones. I now go into my email setting and look to change my tones and guess what is not there? yes, my down loaded ring tone, and where did it go? I have no clue. As you can see I am frustrated. Is there a way to save new tones to that Droid list for my incoming email notifications? and how do I accomplish this. Thank you.

MICP1480

JoeeDB

Reaction score
Not sure, but I'm assuming it saves them to where the "ringtones" are located (not notifications). Go into your SD card and copy the files from the "ringtones" folder to a "notifications" folder.

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Mount your Droid and check to see what folders are already there. The first day I had my Droid I created a directory called "media" directly on the SD card. Then in the media directory I created a subdirectory called "audio". Then in the audio directory I created subdirectories called "notifications", "ringtones", and "alarms". Then I just dropped my files into the appropriate folder, and assigned ringtones to contacts, email, and alarm clock.

For notifications: media/audio/notifications
For ringtones: media/audio/ringtones
For alarms: media/audio/alarms

That's worked for me and after few months I've had no issues at all. Each assigned ringtone works each time. In your case, maybe it has to do with where the ringtones are on the Droid??? Create the folder like I told you, move the ringtomes you downloaded and you should be all set!

OP
M

micp1480

Reaction score
ingtones.

I stumbled onto a folder that said Audio on it, and when I opened this folder is when I found the folder with the Ring Tones in it. I then placed my ring tone into the folder and went to my email program and selected up ring tones, it wasn't there, but I did go back and check my sd card and found that the ring tone was listed with the others. The only other thing I can think of is that maybe the ring tone has to be a certain format.

OP
M

micp1480

Reaction score
OK, finally success. I am hoping that this can help other who are trying this; I was loading my new tone to the folder called Ring Tones, but I should have added it to the folder called Notifications. Now, that I was successful with this, it still doesn't answer the question as to how I can get my new tones to go directly into that folder or any other folder, when I down load them from my phone using Zedge. I guess I have to go back to mounting my droid to my PC and start looking for the downloaded file to move it into it's rightful place.

So, someone please tell me this. You have three folders, notification, ring tone, and alarm, and so how does your Droid know which folder you want your new tone to go into? I think after you have selected your ring tone to download a pop up box should ask you where you would want your new tone to be downloaded to.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
It probably downloads to whatever folder the app stores downloads in (xScope, for example, places everything in a folder called Downloads). You can use a file manager such as Astro to move the files if you don't want to mount.

drivinfocused

Reaction score
Mount your Droid and check to see what folders are already there. The first day I had my Droid I created a directory called "media" directly on the SD card. Then in the media directory I created a subdirectory called "audio". Then in the audio directory I created subdirectories called "notifications", "ringtones", and "alarms". Then I just dropped my files into the appropriate folder, and assigned ringtones to contacts, email, and alarm clock.

For notifications: media/audio/notifications
For ringtones: media/audio/ringtones
For alarms: media/audio/alarms

That's worked for me and after few months I've had no issues at all. Each assigned ringtone works each time. In your case, maybe it has to do with where the ringtones are on the Droid??? Create the folder like I told you, move the ringtomes you downloaded and you should be all set!

i jsut did this and it works! didn't do one for alarms but i did for notis and rings and they are recognized in ringers! thankx anne!