Right side of touch screen not working

dolney

Reaction score
I bought my droid Incredible from ebay a few months ago and it has been working perfectly up until about two days ago when for no apparent a strip on the right side of the phone stopped responding to touch. I could not get past the home screen because I could not enter my screen lock password. I factory reset it after playing with if for a while and that did not work either. I now have to switch between landscape and portrait mode to type and select applications. About a fifth of the screen is not responding. I have heard of similar issues with other people but have not found a solution. I think replacing the digitalizer might work but I would rather not try it and it turns out to be something else. Does anyone know if replacing the digitalizer will fix dead spots? The phone has no water damage and no fall damage. Verizon won't cover me because I got the phone through someone else. Any suggestions would be great!

Detonation

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to my Inc on the top quarter inch of the screen (couldn't pull down notification drawer), but I had it warranty replaced.

The phone carriers a one year manufacturer warranty from original date of purchase, regardless of who owns it. I would talk to Verizon again because they should still be honoring the warranty as long as the phone you have was originally bought new and isn't a refurb.

OP
D

dolney

Reaction score
So as long as the guy I bought it from on eBay bought it new and not refurbished, then the warranty covers it? Will Verizon cover it or should I just go straight to HTC?

Detonation

Reaction score
Try Verizon first. They should be able to lookup the phone's serial number/id to verify its manufacturer's warranty.

Ratz

Reaction score
Fixed I think

I just started having the right side screen dead problem. When I opened my home menu, it was jittery and made scrolling near impossible. I thought maybe something was causing the right hand side of my screen to be always "activated" so I licked my finger and wiped down that side. No luck. So maybe something was stuck at the very edge of the glass on that side. I used my fingernail and ran it down the side of the glass between the glass and the bezel. And viola! My screen is responsive again.

Give it a try and see if it works for you.

Ratz

MissSpiffy

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to my Inc on the top quarter inch of the screen (couldn't pull down notification drawer), but I had it warranty replaced.

The phone carriers a one year manufacturer warranty from original date of purchase, regardless of who owns it. I would talk to Verizon again because they should still be honoring the warranty as long as the phone you have was originally bought new and isn't a refurb.

Wrong. Verizon does not honor a warranty on a phone that switched from one account to another. A manufacturer might, but with Verizon the warranty drops off as soon as a phone leaves it original account. This is due to preventing fraud, scams, and similar things. It's considered a CPE (Customer Provided Equipment), which never has in-house warranty.

It's standard procedure with most businesses that you be able to provide proof of purchase (not third party) before a warranty is honored. Verizon won't be able to look up a receipt for your Incredible because you didn't buy it from them...and also the system literally just doesn't allow it on a CPE.

Last edited:

Ratz

Reaction score
Unfortunately it doesn't work for long

Glad the fingernail trick worked for you. I still have problems off and on, just milking my phone hoping the Bionic is released soon. The fingernail works most times, but sometimes it just doesn't want to play nice. Another thing that "sometimes works" is to turn the screen off, then back on. I know when my phone does work, I hold it very gingerly, afraid to jostle it in case the stuck screen comes back. sigh...

Come on Bionic, save my day already....

Ratz