Rezound GSM w/ Stock ICS OTA

HowardZ

Reaction score
Yes, when I tested with a tmobile simple card, I found it mandatory before putting back in the Verizon sim card to:
Keep the tmobile sim card in the phone,
Switch to lte
Examine the Verizon apn and make any changes necessary for it to be correct for vzw.
Then I'd power off the phone.

The reason is that one can not modify the Verizon apn when a Verizon sim card is in the phone.

Somehow I found making apn changes with the tmobile sim affected the Verizon apn.

I only got edge because I didn't pay for a data plan and edge is necessary for texting to work. Or, maybe I can't get faster data where I live.

Regards

Howard

OP
K

kefler

Reaction score
Just one last update, I actually got to use the Global RUU firmware in Europe. I was traveling two weeks. In Denmark I bought a super-cheap "lebara" sim card for about $6 that had about 100 SMS messages and 10 minutes of credit on it. I used this to contact a colleague I had to meet up with. Then after a few more countries, in London I bought a "3 Networks" SIM card for 15 UK Pounds that had unlimited data, 300 minutes, and 3000 SMS. This worked great and I used it in london, manchester, edinburgh (scotland) and everywhere in between. It often had "H" in the display, and the speed was very fast. It would fall back to 3G. I had no problem transfering large files and staying in constant contact.

Only problem is over there, you can't buy SIM cards that work in multiple countries and I moved countries every day or two. Each SIM worked fine in the country it was purchased, but was stuck on roaming (and basically disabled) in any other country. In order to roam you have to have a real billing address and I would have probably had to buy a tmobile or vodafone card in the states with some credit before going over. In any case the Rezound worked perfectly and jumped right back on 4G LTE when I put in the sim card after landing in the US.

PatG

Reaction score
So did you get a new phone number with each SIM card?

OP
K

kefler

Reaction score
Yup.. new weird euro phone number with each sim card... But once data connects, all my same google stuff works (gtalk, gmail, email, latitude, facebook, G+, Google voice). I never use my phone for voice in the US so it wasn't a big deal for me to have a different number..

Also minutes of talk time to anywhere outside the country you am in are very expensive.. whereas data is the same price no matter which country it goes to.

gerrya

Reaction score
Going to Chile and would like to take my Rezound and get a SIM either before I go, or when I get there. Been doing a lot of reading and there are so many different answers out there ranging from just pop the sim in and it works, to changing APN and switching to GSM via LTE on/off apps. I am bone stock ICS, I only need a weeks worth of voice while I'm there. Can anybody confirm that its as easy as installing a GSM SIM or what other steps are needed?
Thanks,

OP
K

kefler

Reaction score
Going to Chile and would like to take my Rezound and get a SIM either before I go, or when I get there. Been doing a lot of reading and there are so many different answers out there ranging from just pop the sim in and it works, to changing APN and switching to GSM via LTE on/off apps. I am bone stock ICS, I only need a weeks worth of voice while I'm there. Can anybody confirm that its as easy as installing a GSM SIM or what other steps are needed?
Thanks,

Once you flash the global RUU (this is an official verizon leaked ROM they did not let us have yet), you are fine... You can have voice, data, and I was OK with 3G and with H+ which I think is faster than 3G.

IF you only really want voice and some random phone number, then you can just use your stock ROM that you already have.. I tested this, it works, I could recieve text messages and make phone calls (and receive phone calls). I dont think I was able to send SMS though, not sure.

Either way, just buy the SIM card, and put it in the phone.. power it back on, you get a warning about illegal SIM on the lock screen but everything behaves normally otherwise.

gerrya

Reaction score
Tried T-Mobile SIM

Thanks for the replies and help, figured I would post my findings, it may help others. I am completely bone stock. I bought a prepaid T-Mobile SIM and inserted it into Rezound. I went into the app LTE On/off and switched to "GSM/WCDMA,CDMA,and EVDO(PRL)" I immediately got bars once I did that. I was then able to place and receive calls. I could receive texts but not send. One thing to note is when I would go into Settings-Mobile network I would immediately lose the signal. I went into LTE On/Off and found it was back to its default Verizon setting. (it did this every time I went into Mobile Networks) Once I switched it back I got bars again. I think in the future before I put a different SIM in im going to just shut off the mobile networks.