Researcher Talks Solar-Cell Equipped OLED Displays; Self-Sustaining Phones Teaser

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
solar-cell-oled-gnex.jpg

Above pic is an artist's mockup​

A researcher at London Centre for Nanotechnology, named Arman Ahnood, is working on a prototype phone that uses an OLED display combined with solar-cells. He teases the possibility of a self-sustaining smartphone in the future, as he works toward that lofty goal. Here's a quote from the Engadget article with some details on the budding tech,

Ahnood's handiwork relies on an array of solar cells that surround and sit beneath the phone's display. Currently, the system averages 11 percent efficiency in its energy capture, with a peak efficiency of 18 percent. Naturally, there are gains to be made. Of the light generated from OLEDs, Ahnood approximates that only 36 percent is actually projected outward. Critically speaking, this also suggests that similar power savings could be achieved with dimmer, more efficient displays, but we'll let that slide. As it stands, Ahnood's system is able to generate approximately five milliwatts of additional power, given a screen size of 3.7-inches.

Right now, the efficiency is far too low to come close to self-sustainability, but it's really cool to see that there are folks actively working to make it a reality. That's one of the great things about technology... it always has an optimistic view of the future as it marches inevitably towards it.

Source: Engadget

Big Ry

Reaction score
Who cares about self-sustainable phones right now. Can't we just have a combination of this tech and batteries to hold us over!!! :icon_ lala:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Self-sustaining would be awesome, but actually you need far less to add a bit extra to get phones thru the day. In an ideal world, with current stock batteries (not the monstrosities, something in the 1600-1900mah range) this provides enough extra juice to get you through the day with the screen always on and heavy use. Although that's probably 2-3X the current capability of such phones/batteries.

Even 20-30% more juice from this would be a huge step. Heck, put some photovoltaic panels on the back so it can draw some juice while the screen is off and not in use (but then people would whine about not being able to see the indicator lights).

Big Ry

Reaction score
I want a nuclear powered smartphone. you'll drop it and crack the screen or upgrade long before it runs out of fuel!!! dancedroid

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
the only problem is that most times our phones end up in our pockets outside and really only stay outside of our pockets when we are inside or whenever using it obviously...good idea but doesnt seem exactly practical to make the phone self-sustaining...it would most certainly be a nice help to improve battery life though

combatmedic870

Reaction score
the only problem is that most times our phones end up in our pockets outside and really only stay outside of our pockets when we are inside or whenever using it obviously...good idea but doesnt seem exactly practical to make the phone self-sustaining...it would most certainly be a nice help to improve battery life though

from what i just read in the OP, it collects power when the screen is on. only 38% of light from the screen goes forward. So, the other 62% of light from the screen would charge the panel. it wouldnt help all that much....but some its better then nothing. Its nice to see stuff like this, I would pay $300 right now to have this installed in my phone! :) if it gave 25% more power to the phone, it would be completely worth it.

Imagine If all you had to do was turn your phone to a white screen to charge your phone! Of coarse then you have to worry about how long the screen is going to last....

biglipps66

Reaction score
I always thought a solar back panel cover would be sweet. It might add a slight 1-2mm to the back but imagine if you could have even a 2"x2" square on the back.. it might provide enough power to completely eliminate standby power drain!?! I know I keep my phone on my desk at work or on the table at home, even on the table when im out to eat.. plenty of time to expose the panel!

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score

exactly! Would be more practical to harness static electricity in your pocket.