Request to change Android calendar reminders into Outlook like events

jns.das

Reaction score
Can we start a petition request for android to alter calendaring in 2 ways. 1 all events become singular and not lumped together in a reminder. Most important. Add the ability to snooze each event individually and with customizable times just like in outlook.

I have missed many events because of this lack of functionality. I can't believe this phone only allows me the option to snooze or dismiss when I shud be able to open each event and handle each seperate from one another.

Maybe I'm just ranting but I hope this snowballs enuf to get me what I desire.

Jay

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why petition? There's a site for requests and issues, IIRC.

OP
jns.das

jns.das

Reaction score
Seriously, does such a place exist??? I really really really need the calendar and events to change!

:)

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
No offense...

Just because I've seen some threads where people are worried about these phones because a vast majority of posts are people with problems...

For MY USES, the calendar and events and reminder are wonderful. The only thing I might like to change is the little bar on the right side of the day in month view that shows when events are on that day. It's a PITA sometimes...

Just my 2 cents. I also use CalWidget. I let it take up an entire homescreen, but it collects my calendar info and puts it all neatly on a page so I can see my schedule.

I use the calendar mostly for my work schedule and then to remind me of other things though, so I'm not a HARDCORE calendar/schedule user. There ARE calendar replacement apps available though...If the stock one doesn't suit your tastes, it's worth it to look into them...IMO.

OP
jns.das

jns.das

Reaction score
Just because I've seen some threads where people are worried about these phones because a vast majority of posts are people with problems...

For MY USES, the calendar and events and reminder are wonderful. The only thing I might like to change is the little bar on the right side of the day in month view that shows when events are on that day. It's a PITA sometimes...

Just my 2 cents. I also use CalWidget. I let it take up an entire homescreen, but it collects my calendar info and puts it all neatly on a page so I can see my schedule.

I use the calendar mostly for my work schedule and then to remind me of other things though, so I'm not a HARDCORE calendar/schedule user. There ARE calendar replacement apps available though...If the stock one doesn't suit your tastes, it's worth it to look into them...IMO.

Thanks for the heads up on CalWidget. I like it also... Here is my problem. The google calendar does not allow you to snooze each item independantly with custom times like outlook would... Sounds little but it (to me anyway) is a huge problem. Some meetings get postponed, others pushed back. I recently had a situation where 5 reminders came up in one shot. Now for about an hour I was hitting snooze (10 min intervals) because there were some items I would do later... So I finished three of the 5 and accidentally hit dismiss all. Because of this I missed my reminder of items 4 and 5... There is no reason this functionality is not here... I mean for gods sake this phone is so awesome that I can speak into it and it dictates my text messages for me, yet it cant allow me to postpone events? lol. Silly silly stuff. And so far I am unable to find any calendar apps to get me this functionality. Oh well, I am just a guy ranting, I know that. I just hope someone heres it and makes some changes, adds an app or alters the calendar.

Jay

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Yeah, I've only ever had one reminder at one time, but I HAVE seen that it says "snooze all" and "dismiss all"

You might try creating alarms for each item. I know that's not the BEST solution, but you can add a label to each alarm, such as "Meeting with Bob J. at Starbucks"...

OP
jns.das

jns.das

Reaction score
I just looked on my phone. I can't figure out how to do this. Would you mind lettin me know hot to? Is this something I have to do from a pc and not my phone?
Regards

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I just looked on my phone. I can't figure out how to do this. Would you mind lettin me know hot to? Is this something I have to do from a pc and not my phone?
Regards

Certainly! Pull up the alarm clock whatever way is easiest for you...
-Press menu
-Press add alarm
-Set the time
-Choose a ringtone/notification sound [or select silent from the list]
-Choose whether or not to vibrate
-Select Repeat day [This is where there's a drawback...You can only select the DAY, not the date, so you'd have to do this every week, but like I said, better than nothing...]
-Press Label
-Enter the message you'd like to see when the alarm goes off [Ie "Meeting with Bob J."
-Press done

As I said, not the BEST workaround, but I think it could help. Also...and I just thought of this, so please forgive me, AK Notepad has an option when creating/editing a note to "Remind Me." I just checked that out, and you can set the DATE and TIME there. Might be a better possibility for you if you have a LOT of events to set reminders for...Not sure if it'll do a "snooze/dismiss all" thing, or how it handles multiple reminders around the same time...

OP
jns.das

jns.das

Reaction score
hey thanks a lot. Unfortunately that functionality won't work for e with alarm clock simply because an average week has 40 or so events. Thanks though, and I'm def gonna demo the Ak notepad.
Thanks,
Jay

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
No problem. I was thinking about that as I typed out the directions. That's what made me think to check AK...Still not the BEST solution [if you have to put them in the calendar AND ak], but should get the job done WAY better than the alarm. Let me know about multiple notifications at the same time if you try it out!

OP
jns.das

jns.das

Reaction score
thanks I installed it. Ill let you you know. Unfortunately it still doesn't cover all bases as it doesn't manage reoccurring events. Can't we just get an outlook like calendar? Lol.
Jay

OP
jns.das

jns.das

Reaction score
Is it impossible to have this on a Droid? Set some example events for illustration purposes. As you see I have 2 items I can dismiss and 2 others that I am going to snooze with different settings... Why cannot Android or Google do this? Should be simple!

Attachments

• snooze.JPG
    snooze.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 480

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I was JUST thinking about this thread...I had an event reminder set for my job interview today, and when it popped up, instead of snoozing or dismissing all, I clicked it. From there, you can either change thee reminder time, or back out. Backing out removed it from notifications (dismissed it) if time's already passed, but you want a notification later, I think you can edit the event entry. Set it to a later time and set a new reminder?

Still not sure what would happen with multiple reminders at the same time, but I would think if you don't snooze, dismiss, or click them, they should stay.

No sure if that helps, or if you already tried it, but might make things a LITTLE easier...?

snakeyes

Reaction score
Can we start a petition request for android to alter calendaring in 2 ways. 1 all events become singular and not lumped together in a reminder. Most important. Add the ability to snooze each event individually and with customizable times just like in outlook.

I have missed many events because of this lack of functionality. I can't believe this phone only allows me the option to snooze or dismiss when I shud be able to open each event and handle each seperate from one another.

Maybe I'm just ranting but I hope this snowballs enuf to get me what I desire.

Jay
I agree this lack of functionality is silly. It makes using my phone for scheduling very difficult.