replace razr battery with razr maxx battery and back?

eddiekeyton

Banned
Reaction score
Twitter
eddiekeyton
has anyone successfully taken there razr apart and replaced the battery and door with a razr max battery and battery door? is this even logical? i mean if its logical and i can find a broken razr maxx on craigslist then i would be interested in doing it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

OP
eddiekeyton

eddiekeyton

Banned
Reaction score
Twitter
eddiekeyton
i may be able to just find a broken razor maxx and use the battery and door. if its not the same exact setup then my modding skills will come in handy :) thank you. if all else fails i will buy that conversion kit....when it comes available again. its sold out right now.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

StephenC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X (2nd Gen)
Just be very careful in taking your phone apart. The battery has some strong adhesive on both sides of it. The back casing is stuck to it so slowly and gently pull it off. When taking the battery out, work slowly with it as well. The adhesive on it's backside is stuck directly to the motherboard.

Sent from my resurrected DROID RAZR that I rebuilt myself

OP
eddiekeyton

eddiekeyton

Banned
Reaction score
Twitter
eddiekeyton
StephenC said:
Just be very careful in taking your phone apart. The battery has some strong adhesive on both sides of it. The back casing is stuck to it so slowly and gently pull it off. When taking the battery out, work slowly with it as well. The adhesive on it's backside is stuck directly to the motherboard.

thanks for the heads up

Sent from my BLACK DROID RAZR using Droid Forums. Prepare to be impressified!!!!

jeff.wilson2000

Reaction score

I've done this mod. It went flawlessly, though I have to concur with StephenC - peeling the battery off the phone was a bit of a hair-raising experience. Definitely use a heat gun if you have one to loosen the adhesive - it's really sticky.

That said - if you are comfortable with this level of service on your own phone, I can highly recommend doing the mod. Do yourself a favor, and if you buy the kit (I know you said you were going to try and gut an actual Razr MAXX) - get the internal metal chassis that goes with the Maxx. I don't recommend messing around with a dremel unless you REALLY know what you're doing (I wasn't comfortable doing that myself).

StephenC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X (2nd Gen)
I wish I could do this, but I have a white RAZR and I really don't care for the black phone. Too bad I can't get a MAXX backing in white.

StephenC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X (2nd Gen)
That's why you buy a broken MAXX off of eBay for about the same price and then sell your old battery and backing on eBay. The EB20 alone sells used for about $50. I just got $47 for mine the other day. It wasn't listed for more than two hours before it sold.

You could also sell the motherboard out of the MAXX. People with water damaged phones could use that.