repair shattered screen?

cassidyathena

Reaction score
I have a two month old droid 2 global that just dropped lightly (in a protective case and with a screen protector!) and the screen shattered. I have no insurance. But it still works, and I saw a site called "Clean Planet Cell phone repair" that says it can replace the screen for $89. Considering retail is $599, if that works it would be lovely... anyone know or have other suggestions? TX!

miketoasty

Reaction score
I have a two month old droid 2 global that just dropped lightly (in a protective case and with a screen protector!) and the screen shattered. I have no insurance. But it still works, and I saw a site called "Clean Planet Cell phone repair" that says it can replace the screen for $89. Considering retail is $599, if that works it would be lovely... anyone know or have other suggestions? TX!

Call Motorola first and see how much their repair would be. Even though its not in warranty they should still fix it for you. Also, if you have someone else do it i'm sure there is a way Motorola can tell if someone else has opened the phone therefor any future problems won't be fixable by Motorola.

OP
C

cassidyathena

Reaction score

Call Motorola first and see how much their repair would be. Even though its not in warranty they should still fix it for you. Also, if you have someone else do it i'm sure there is a way Motorola can tell if someone else has opened the phone therefor any future problems won't be fixable by Motorola.
Miketoasty, thanks! As it happens, my techie brother suggested the same thing, which had never even occurred to me (my bad) and they will fix it for $110, and take about a week vs. 24 hours for the other place, but definitely a better idea. Quality, not quickness ;-)

miketoasty

Reaction score

Miketoasty, thanks! As it happens, my techie brother suggested the same thing, which had never even occurred to me (my bad) and they will fix it for $110, and take about a week vs. 24 hours for the other place, but definitely a better idea. Quality, not quickness ;-)

No problem, and trust me you never know the kind of quality your going to get with these 3rd party sites. Good luck with your repair and enjoy your droid!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
this is for droid 1 but I am sure it will work for d2

[video=youtube;dE81IaQHEHc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE81IaQHEHc[/video]

OP
C

cassidyathena

Reaction score
Wow, I don't think I could do that, but in any case mine has a slide out key board so it would work differently. In this case I think paying for expertise is worth it!

Reaction score
Wow, I don't think I could do that, but in any case mine has a slide out key board so it would work differently. In this case I think paying for expertise is worth it!

Given the fact that the video is of a Droid, which DOES have a slide out keyboard... I'd say you're right. :)

Plus, it's always nice to have a warranty on a repair, which you don't get when you do it yourself.

OP
C

cassidyathena

Reaction score
Given the fact that the video is of a Droid, which DOES have a slide out keyboard... I'd say you're right. :) .
* hangs head in shame* It looked much thinner than mine! Really! :) That's why I'm asking advice, not giving it :) And I haven't done that kind of work since building dollhouse furniture in my lo-yonder youth... with good reason!

Reaction score
Given the fact that the video is of a Droid, which DOES have a slide out keyboard... I'd say you're right. :) .
* hangs head in shame* It looked much thinner than mine! Really! :) That's why I'm asking advice, not giving it :) And I haven't done that kind of work since building dollhouse furniture in my lo-yonder youth... with good reason!

Oddly enough, I have built dollhouse furniture and repaired cellphones, and I'm pretty confident when I say that if you can do the former, you can ace the latter. A cellphone comes apart neatly, and everything has its place, just be slow and methodical and you're set... Dollhouse furniture is just a few blocks of wood until you put it all together... maybe you're better at the creative stuff than I am haha.

OP
C

cassidyathena

Reaction score
Just thought I'd report back that due to needing it back quickly so my husband wouldn't find out, I used Clean Planet, had a 3 day turnaround, and it came back looking brand new, working perfectly (so far anyway ;-) with all the info etc. on it. So I would recommend them!