Removing apps/bloatware

jmwelton

Reaction score
is there ne way to delete the unnessicary apps preinstaled on the the phone with out rootin???

ryan586

Reaction score
No not that I have seen on any of the forums I have seen on here

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

stonedoubt

Reaction score
You have to root your phone to remove the extra verizon installed apps that won't let you uninstall them. This is a major pet peeve of mine... I shouldn't have to root my phone to uninstall apps I don't need. Recently, Verizon sent an update to my wife's phone that added Skype... she can't delete it either and doesn't use it but the stupid app runs all of the time and eats up battery life. I can feel my blood pressure going up right now just thinking about it.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
You must root to actually remove them. You can hide them with launcher pro if you just don't want to see them in the app drawer.

OP
J

jmwelton

Reaction score
You have to root your phone to remove the extra verizon installed apps that won't let you uninstall them. This is a major pet peeve of mine... I shouldn't have to root my phone to uninstall apps I don't need. Recently, Verizon sent an update to my wife's phone that added Skype... she can't delete it either and doesn't use it but the stupid app runs all of the time and eats up battery life. I can feel my blood pressure going up right now just thinking about it.

ya i agree wit u its so many unnesscary crap we dont need i dont use vcast stuff the rockband and rapsdy r jus links very useless.... and i hope i get tht update i would enjoy using skype on my phone .... i have another question is i was tryin to hold off to root till we get the updates lik for skype and the vid recordin problem and i think i seen gingerbread comin out .. if i root will i still b able to receive the OTA update??

OP
J

jmwelton

Reaction score
You must root to actually remove them. You can hide them with launcher pro if you just don't want to see them in the app drawer.

i would rather jus get rid of them instead of hiding them... im kinda getting used to the sense UI since i came from D1.. only thimg i dont like is how u cant change the dock buttons on the home screen

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Most phones can take OTAs while being rooted as long as youre on a stock rom and haven't removed any system apps. This is why a stock backup is always a good idea to have. And yes you can always unroot.

stonedoubt

Reaction score
Most phones can take OTAs while being rooted as long as youre on a stock rom and haven't removed any system apps. This is why a stock backup is always a good idea to have. And yes you can always unroot.

My experience has been that if you have clockwork mod installed when you receive the OTA update the phone will reboot but not update. I was running Froyo on my Droid and had this happen a bunch of times. I finally dumped the stock image for Bugless Beast and it stopped trying to update every day.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
You can always remove bootstrap and stay rooted. Ultimately though, I think an SBF is the way to go. That way you don't have to worry about having this or that installed or uninstalled.

OP
J

jmwelton

Reaction score
You can always remove bootstrap and stay rooted. Ultimately though, I think an SBF is the way to go. That way you don't have to worry about having this or that installed or uninstalled.

im not tht good wit this kinda stuff lol i have dun the SBF tho on my d1 cuz i flashed the wrong recovery and it froze my phone

slinky

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to additional OTA so that the dwindling remaining internal memory left in the phone will be further depleted by things I'm likely never to use and which leave apps running as services in the background. Perhaps by the time they are done this device will list available internal memory in terms of MB. :)

Unfortunately, no way and probably never going to make it possible. VZW likely has entered contractual agreements (without your knowledge) making sure that all these apps stay with your phone and cannot be removed. The best line of defense is doing what apparently many users have done to Blockbuster, lol. I don't begrudge them, truly, but the negative ratings on that app set new standards as a result of the frustration factor. I wonder what the Golf game gets, consider it takes up almost 150MB of internal memory.