Remote Control for media center PC.

Flowah

Reaction score
I'm looking for a remote control app that would allow me to control my PC with my phone.

Setup is:
Windows 7 PC with WIFI.
Using mostly WMP to play videos and music.
No bluetooth or IR receivers on the PC.

I've looked around, Gmote is the only thing I can find, but, it's not QUITE like a remote control. More like a "use it like a mouse and keyboard". I suppose that's okay, but it's slightly unruly.

dragonfly1113

Reaction score

RDP will not work on xp machines (EDIT: if people have xp computers, not in reference to OP which states they have windows 7, not sure what versions of 7 are compatible with RDP) unless you have the pro version of xp the standard version will not allow RDP to be accessed, just an FYI. i use logmein and love it :) well worth the month since phonemypc never fully worked for me the way i wanted it to and remotevnc was a lil tough to try to setup.

harrellj

Reaction score
Personally, I use GMote as a remote on my Vista machine. The thing is that it uses VLC as its backend media player and launches it via Java (so no access to VLC settings). The mouse part would work too as an awkward remote (useful when watching Hulu on big screen when feeling sick).

If you have Boxee running on your computer, there is a boxee app for the phone, but I've never tried it out.

Edit: Gmote's designed as a media remote, first and foremost. For actual control, I'd recommend AndroidVNC on the phone and TightVNC on the computer.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
F

Flowah

Reaction score
Yeah I guess I didn't explain very well. I want a media remote. Like a TV remote, except, the media player would be on my computer.

spower

Reaction score
Edit: For actual control, I'd recommend AndroidVNC on the phone and TightVNC on the computer.

Can you use these and go on the internet (from your phone through the computer)? In other words...using the phone navigate to a website on the computer and see it on the phone

harrellj

Reaction score
Edit: For actual control, I'd recommend AndroidVNC on the phone and TightVNC on the computer.

Can you use these and go on the internet (from your phone through the computer)? In other words...using the phone navigate to a website on the computer and see it on the phone

Depends on what you mean. Basically, using TightVNC is like using logmein (if you're familiar with that program) or any number of remote control programs. Remote control in the sense of being in one room and using the phone to see the screen in another room. However, everything is run though the computer, and displayed on the computer. Look up VNC (virtual network client) for a better description. If you want to do internet sharing, tethering would be the way to go.

Yeah, yeah.. I'm on my phone. So?

Nology

Reaction score
Can any of these connect to my PC from anywhere? I'd like to have access to my PC from work.

harrellj

Reaction score
AndroidVNC will connect to your PC from anywhere, providing you have a VNC server running on the computer and your router is set to allow the connection through (and no firewall blocking it either). You'll probably have to use something to get a public IP address as well (like dyndns.org if thats still around).