Reebooting and GPS location problem after update.. please help.

dontist

Reaction score
Okey guys.

First of all, let me tell u all, I just got HTC Thunderbolt a week ago from amazon. I got it in pretty nice deal. I dont live in 4g area.. so all time 3g for me. Second day itself i noticed the phone was getting randomly hot.. either on call, charging, playing games etc.. so i contacted amazon and they told me they can replace the handset. That was done. Now i got another handset.. (TB ofcourse!)

All of us know, we had an OTA update rolling since couple of days. I did it, checked for update.. and installed.. and now the problems started...with this phone... again..

I think the battery seem to be improved but, the phone randomly keeps rebooting on its own no mater if the phone is idle or i am on call, or playing games, surfing.. just random reboots. I tried to factory erase and setting all things defaults, but still it keeps rebooting. Its been two days and i noticed minimum it reboots around 3 4 times...

Another thing is before the update, my location services worked perfectly fine, after this update, its showing me 2 3 miles away from my true location!! its kind of glitchy!

Is there any way i can uninstall that update?

I just have my phone around 10 days now, i can still contact amazon for this problem? or this is normal for all TBs? I need to do something for these major problems. I was aware while buying tht battery life would be problem if i buy this phone but, never thought it will last just approx 4 hours. I feel its not worth at all buying this phone.

Do u think i should exchange this with droid charge? ( i dont know if they will agree and if agree ofcourse they will make me pay more for droid charge!!) But the reason why i am thinking of getting tht phone is i came across reviews and mostly all say its battery is better than TB. Second reason is Humming bird processor i think might be better than TB current processor. Amoled display will be another good advantage.

But somehow i got news that samsung handsets are kind of not worth too! They dont recieve frequent updates to correct minor glitches in the phone. but still do u all think its worth changing TB to charge?

Either i want my TB to be fixed with this issues or i should change my phone to charge. I am kind of more pushy because, its just been 10 days of my purchase and i am facing this all. I may seem to be hyper but i was an iphone user and after experiencing that stability and robust ios software, android seem to be kind of on low side from my aspect. I chose TB because of 4g (which i will be getting in my area in 3 4 months according to verizon store rep locally!)

what should i do? please give some ideas, solutions!

thanks!

Jeyman

Reaction score
As far as I know this has been going on with everyone. Even rooted users seem to be getting random restarts, im not seeing it myself though. Iv had one random restart after installing the leaked RUU and I think its app related.

Something to do with my music player at the time(tunewiki) and the car home ultra that I use.

I use to get that once in a blue moon with my moto droid too, my restarts seem to be linked to car home. I hope that the next update can fix this restarting problem some seem to have.

as far as the GPS, I noticed this as well. The lock on takes anywher from 2~5min after the update is was said to help GPS, but I never had any GPS problems till after the update, so I really dont no what to say about this one, it improved GPS for some and messed up others lol.

Best we can hope for is a dev finds the lib that is messing with the phone, that or hope HTCs next update(should be 2.3) might fix all of this.

In closing, look at your apps the restarts may be linked to that, as far as GPS I dont have a answer at all and I dont think anyone really does.

speedwater

Reaction score
rebooting after "update"

I have also experienced mega random rebooting since "update" a few days ago, VZW needs to get their stuff together...

OP
D

dontist

Reaction score
Hi thanks for your reply.

But, first of all my phone is just one week old. I did not even root it till now. It is very depressing to have a big piece of brick with just 4 5 hours of battery life and random reboot. GPS thing I might let go as I am not even using it much unless I travel. But this is ridiculous.

Guys if anyone has solution of his random reboots than please update it.

Also please share ur opinion what if I et new Droid charge??? They might would like to replace for me. I will have to pay I think 120 additional as I got this for 130 already. Do u think its wise to leave this phone and just et charge looking at the price tag I m little concerned.

Need some valuable replies.

Sent from my bolt

Jimh4662

Reaction score
I am wondering if it is a batch of faulty chips. Seeing this problem reported on forums but just as many are not having the problem. I for one report the TB working great. I knew going in on the battery hog issue. My only grip is does not know where I am. Now remember the squeaky wheel gets the oil. Hound the Hell out of Verizon tech. Support line. They have help others with replacement phones.

Bowtie

Reaction score
Before you do a replacement, try doing a factory reset of the phone. I have had the update since Sat night and have yet to have it reboot.

wooddale

Reaction score
Im rooted on bamf 1.6.3 Battery life is better than it has been not that thats good still sucks but is what it is. I also have the leaked RUU had a couple reboots but not since I downloaded 1.6.3. GPS stinks puts me about 3/4 mile from house. I did notice if you leave GPS on all the time (doesnt use battery) it gets location in the wright place quicker but still takes forever too lock on. I think the GPS problem is a Verizon 4G problem not the phone.

jogutier

Reaction score
Before you do a replacement, try doing a factory reset of the phone. I have had the update since Sat night and have yet to have it reboot.

Just to be clear. Did you do the reset before or after the update? The reason why I would like to know is that I do not want a used/remanufactured phone if I can still keep my new one.

rockula

Reaction score
I'm having the exact same issue! Before the update, my phone was fine... except it had problems dropping my data connection when switching in an out of different areas. Now something even more annoying is occuring...random rebooting!

Except I think I've narrowed it down a bit. I don't think it's random because i"m starting to see a pattern. My phone will reboot almost every time when I'm in or at a certain location. I have no idea how to know for sure, but two days in a row it's rebooted in mid email or text, in the exact same spots on my way to work. VERY curious.

And I want to avoid a hard reset if I can. I don't want to have to deal with getting all my contacts back in, etc. Although, I was smart to finally consolidate all of my contacts to gmail, in the event that I had to do a hard reset.

I don't think this issue has anything to do with the battery, because I've had the extended life battery for quite some time, and didn't start having this problem until AFTER the latest update.

I do have the GPS Status app, but to be honest... it's way over my head. it sure looks cool and technical, but I really have no clue why or what I'm looking at and how it is of use to me. HA!!

eddies66

Reaction score
I work in an office where 3 others also have Thunderbolt. We all purchased ours at different times. None of us had problems with reboot until after the update. It doesn't have anything to do with location because we can be sitting next to each other in the same building and one of our phones will reboot and the others won't. I don't think the problem is tied to any specific app because mine has rebooted while using different apps and rebooted while it was sitting on a desk not being touched. Very frustrating to say the least.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Kboss375

Reaction score
I had this problem. Read that a lot of people went with a factory reset so I finally tried it. I haven't had the issue since.

Bowtie

Reaction score

Just to be clear. Did you do the reset before or after the update? The reason why I would like to know is that I do not want a used/remanufactured phone if I can still keep my new one.

I haven't had to do a reset of mine, and the current phone I have is a replacement phone due to other issues I was having prior to the OTA coming out. There is nothing wrong with them, VZW makes sure that they are 100% the same as a new one. And actually getting a replacement phone guarantees you get a good phone, because they run a slew of tests against them and replace any defective parts, you have a better chance of getting a "bad" phone right out of the box then you do with a reman/replacement.

johnd09

Reaction score
Yeah the battery life is bad one this phone and the reboot are a little annoying, but I love the phone. I changed the synchronization frequency on the apps and I can now get 6-12 hours depending on usage.

jka

Reaction score
If you can go with Sam sung phone my friend has it and she likes it better then tb. Just make sure you get a 4g phone unlimited date prior to the tear bs

rockula

Reaction score
My phone still randomly reboots itself, and did so today once already. It does it without rhyme or reason it seems. Usually I'm travelling to work, and using the phone. It usually happens when I'm at a stop, returning a text or email. Nothing about it is consistant either such as where and when. Only the part about texting or emailing is the common theme.

I use TaskKiller to manage running tasks because the guy at the VZW store said it was about the ONLY one that was actually good. I had just task killed anything that didn't need to be running, as my phone hovers at about 120mb free. The VZW guy said it should have about 300mb free. Services run like CBS news, Rhapsody (which I don't use), a weather app I don't use, my text application Handscent, LIve Wallpaper, Airmail, some misc app's I don't use (so I don't why they are running?)VZ Navigator, MSNBC alerts, News (don't use it), Pandora (don't use it), Air1 (don't use it much), etc. I'll save it for a new thread.. how about that?

Thanks!