Recording a Phone Conversations

waycoolzip

Reaction score
I haven't been able to find an app that can sucessfully record a phone conversation. I have been told Motorola devices make the process very difficult. Is anybody using an app on the Razr that records phone conversations?

Erikbal

Reaction score
Someone suggested an app called record mic and call. I downloaded it and tried it and for some reason it will only record for like a half second of a phone call and that's it. Haven't been able to figure it out. I sent a pm to the person that suggested it and they never replied. Give it a try and let me know how you make out!

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

OP
W

waycoolzip

Reaction score
I've downloaded and tried most of the apps for this and all I seem to get is static. I am trying to find somebody who was actually able to find an app to do this or at least can tell me how to "fix" the Motorola hardware. The Razr is a great phone but I don't understand why Moto would block this feature.

JP 5.56

Reaction score
Google Voice can record incoming calls, hopefully outgoing calls too in the future. Not sure if this helps.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I would watch where you're going with this thread. In some states, recording a phone call without consent is illegal.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

OP
W

waycoolzip

Reaction score
I am not asking for legal advice. I trying to solve a problem and I need to understand if this is a hardware issue or software issue. This feature seems to work on some phones but not others. I would like to know if anybody has found a work-around?

Mark_79

Reaction score
Originating the calls via Google Voice is the only effective 'workaround' that I'm aware of. That's not to say there aren't apps that actually do record properly; I'm just not aware of any.

Erikbal

Reaction score
Have you tried the one I suggested? If so what happened when you tried it?

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

OP
W

waycoolzip

Reaction score
Tried it.
Only static. I'm beginning to believe it is a Moto issue

Snow02

Reaction score
That's what you get for buying a locked down device. Motorola would need to include the capability in the kernel. They won't.

timp

Reaction score
As far as I know, it's not possible with Motorola devices. It works perfectly on the HTC thunderbolt, as long as it's rooted and has a patched kernel.

droidshot®

Reaction score
My old LG Dare would record phone calls perfectly and used it all the time. And for the person that said in some states it is illegal, it's only illegal to record a conversation between people that doesn't know they're being recorded. As long as you are part of the conversation then it's legal.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
My old LG Dare would record phone calls perfectly and used it all the time. And for the person that said in some states it is illegal, it's only illegal to record a conversation between people that doesn't know they're being recorded. As long as you are part of the conversation then it's legal.

First, the law you are referring to is the Wiretapping law, and it varies from state to state. There is also a Federal Wiretapping law and that may override certain state laws or portions thereof. As for what you said...

WRONG... In some states it's a single party notification state, but in other's ALL parties must be notified. For instance, in New Jersey, I could record a call even if the other party didn't know, because "I know". However, in PA, I would be breaking the law to record a phone call unless I first asked the other party if they gave authorization, or at least notified them that I intended to record the call and gave them the option to say no. You need to check with your state's laws. Also I can't be sure, but it may be illegal to record a conversation with someone in a state that requires all parties to be notified, even if you are in a state that only requires one party to be notified, so in that example, someone living in New Jersey may be breaking the Pennsylvania Wiretapping law if they record someone calling them from PA and don't notify.

Why else do you think that you hear that notification on most customer service lines that says "This call may be recorded for quality assurance and training purposes."?

Last edited: