Record Games and Apps On SD Card

ghizzo

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
GALAXY S5
Good morning.
I bought a 32GB Class 10 card.
But I have not found a way to save games and apps inside it, as much as I can and save a few data.
Does anyone know an easy way to redo this recording.
Thank you.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
You won't be able to do either apps or game data on the SD card unless you root the phone first. Best to use the SD card for media, photos, music, video etc.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
You won't be able to do either apps or game data on the SD card unless you root the phone first. Best to use the SD card for media, photos, music, video etc.

On the S5 (as well as on several other Samsung Android devices), games and apps can be (partially) moved to the SD card without root after they've been installed through the application manager: Settings - Applications - Application manager. From there, select the game or app that you want moved to the SD card. At the bottom of the Storage section, there's a "Move to SD card" button. In most cases, this will move the majority of the application data over to the SD card (the amount of data that's transferred to the SD card depends on the app).

That said, I do agree that it's best to keep the SD card for personal media and to run apps and games off the internal memory of the phone if possible.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
On KitKat, news to me. Thanks for the heads up. I do know there are a few apps that have their own control over where the data is. The mail client I use, Kaiten Mail will allow you to specify where the mail is stored, including the Ext SD card..

OP
G

ghizzo

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
GALAXY S5
On the S5 (as well as on several other Samsung Android devices), games and apps can be (partially) moved to the SD card without root after they've been installed through the application manager: Settings - Applications - Application manager. From there, select the game or app that you want moved to the SD card. At the bottom of the Storage section, there's a "Move to SD card" button. In most cases, this will move the majority of the application data over to the SD card (the amount of data that's transferred to the SD card depends on the app).

That said, I do agree that it's best to keep the SD card for personal media and to run apps and games off the internal memory of the phone if possible.
Thanks for the response.
The problem is that the cell spends very little for the memory card.
If the game has 1gb, he ends up spending only about 100mb.
I'll have to get stuck in the internal memory of the device then.
'll Watch to see if I do not think an application or script that uses the memory card as primary storage.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
On KitKat, news to me. Thanks for the heads up. I do know there are a few apps that have their own control over where the data is. The mail client I use, Kaiten Mail will allow you to specify where the mail is stored, including the Ext SD card..

KitKat has no impact on whether or not an app can use the SD card. The SD card changes in KitKat essentially boil down to an app only being able to make changes to folders it creates on the SD card rather than to any folder on the SD card like in previous versions of Android. Not all Android phones include the option to move apps to the SD card without root, but Samsung bakes it into Touch Whiz.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Thanks for the response.
The problem is that the cell spends very little for the memory card.
If the game has 1gb, he ends up spending only about 100mb.
I'll have to get stuck in the internal memory of the device then.
'll Watch to see if I do not think an application or script that uses the memory card as primary storage.

How much is moved will vary from game to game and from app to app. Some will leave far more on the internal memory while others will leave barely anything. I'm sure it has to do with the way the data and files are compiled for each app by the developers.