receiving texts that are scrambled with parts of old texts

rags_to_razr_maxx

Reaction score
After searching for awhile, I couldn't find anything matching my issue so here goes... I sometimes receive texts that are scrambled with parts of old texts from that person. I'll read the first sentence or two and then there will be what looks like a misspelling or bad auto correct, then the rest of the text. The problem is I don't realize it's messed up and I respond to the text... Only to have the original sender think I've lost my mind ('what are you talking about?!?!') So after several texts back and forth ('you said this', 'no I didn't!') and screenshots from both phones, I finally realize that something is messed up here. I also realized after rereading it and giving it some thought, that the first part was actually from an older text from the same person. So strange. The major issue is that it has mainly happened with my soon to be ex, so it has caused quite a bit of tension. She has a hard time believing its my phone, and thinks that I'm trying to mess with her head. Very frustrating to say the least. Has anyone else experienced this or does anyone have any ideas on the possible cause?
One thought I had... my text limit for each contact is set at 200 so after that it starts deleting the oldest. My daughter and soon to be ex are the main ones I text, so they are both always at 200 (I don't usually manually delete the old ones, just let the phone do it). Could that be the issue?
Thanks in advance to all.
oh by the way, I'm using a RAZR maxx with JB 4.1.2 (not rooted) and the stock text app.

GotnFX

Reaction score
Never had the issue but also never had messaging app delete messages. Have you tried clearing cache under Managing Apps. Look for Messaging. If that doesn't work try holding down your power until the phone shuts down on its own. Kind of like doing a battery pull. These are just suggestions. Good Luck with everything!

mikeyb1029

Reaction score
It's been happening to me for a few weeks. Verizon couldn't answer me

jayetruth

Reaction score
A few possibilities: don't use smilies. Delete the contact and text directly to the number. You can force stop clear data on text app but it's probably the contact.

Keep us posted.

OP
R

rags_to_razr_maxx

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far. It has only happened on incoming texts, but there were no smilies in those messages. I cleared the cache, powered down and back up, deleted the contact and re-entered it, and upped the 'message limit per conversation'. I'll see how it goes and post back. Thanks

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
My wife had similar issues with her OG Droid, so she upgraded to a HTC Incredible 2 and eventually had the same type of text issues so she waited until upgrade again and bought a Bionic (which I now have and have had 0 issues). She eventually had the same type of text issues with it also. She didn't like the Bionic so I took it and bought her an Incredible 4G. She has now learned to clean out old text messages to prevent these issues. At one point she had over 4800 texts stored on her OG Droid and Verizon said "that's too many texts..you have to delete some." I didn't believe them at the time, but after having the issue on 3 different phones, I guess they were right. I even tried increasing the 200 text per contact limit and that didn't help her. I would delete all texts from her phone and she would not have the issue for a few months, then once she had a couple thousand saved texts, she would have similar problems to yours again. For her, the only thing that helps is deleting hundreds and hundreds of old texts every few days. Seems like there might be a "magic" limit to these android phones where a certain number of saved texts start to cause problems.

OP
R

rags_to_razr_maxx

Reaction score
OK, good to know I'm not the only one. I had a feeling it was related to having a lot of texts on the phone. I think I will try and make it a habit to start deleting at least once a week. Thanks for the response.

mikeyb1029

Reaction score
It has been happening to me but the merged in text has been like a week old and already deleted.

mongobongo

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia T
I have had this problem for a while, mainly with my bf's phone, he has the same phone on the same network, not sure if that's why. It can be difficult is it picks up something from an old argument and posts it. It was rather funny when a phantom text from me asked him if we could go on a pub crawl on a tuesday...and when he came home from work, i had no idea what he was on about. Today i was randomly told to go and have some toast half way through a txt conv. So....funny as it is, I would like it to stop if anyone has the answer?!?