Ready to jump the iPhone ship..

mr wrong

Reaction score
Dumping AT&T, and my iPhone 3gs, and going to Verizon this weekend, and was wondering what my first Droid phone should be.

I'm by no means a power-user, and doubt I will root, or mess around with roms. Of course that could change once my comfort level increases. The main thing that interests me is PDAnet so I can tether my laptop.

So if you were going to purchase a Verizon Droid this weekend, what would it be?

Thanks

D

dankarlinski

i would go with the Droid 2 Global. it has the fastest processor to best battery life comparison and has a physical keyboard.

the Droid Pro is known for horendious battery life. the other droid devices (fascinate and continuum) are also great devices, but lack the physical keyboard

nan2825

Reaction score
I love my Droid X! Mine is stock..for now but no complaints from me about this Droid!

Sent from my DROIDX

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
The best answers will come in a few days after the 6th and the 2011 Consumer Electronics Show -

we are expecting some new devices to be unveiled that should be well worth the wait -

D

dankarlinski

I love my Droid X! Mine is stock..for now but no complaints from me about this Droid!

Sent from my DROIDX

i completely forgot about the X. lol the droid X is the most like the iphone from a hardware perspective. it is one of the best phones on verizon if you dont need a physical keyboard

wctaylor79

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wait till Thursday and at CES. See what's about to drop then decide. With what's out now though if u are more buisness probably the D2. If u want big screen no keyboard go X. Personally if u want big screen I would wait for new HTC devices but not sure how bad u need out of att&t right now. If u are wanting tether u could def use things like PDAnet but I and several others I know just root and use wifi tether. No cords and works great. I have run 3 laptops and an ipod touch off my phone while on vacation this past summer and worked really well for internet connection.

repair7

Reaction score
I have the DX ( Droid X) and i am really liking it, i use for my business as well as videos and mp4 files and phone calkls and emails and calander. Droid x rules , the increadable looked great also if you like keyboards

the DX has addressed the keyboard issue, there is really no need to fear phones with no keybpoard

Wuzz Ranger

Reaction score
The best answers will come in a few days after the 6th and the 2011 Consumer Electronics Show -

we are expecting some new devices to be unveiled that should be well worth the wait -

I would wait to see what comes out. The phones that are currently out in the market will soon be old tech/news!

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Dumping AT&T, and my iPhone 3gs, and going to Verizon this weekend, and was wondering what my first Droid phone should be.

I'm by no means a power-user, and doubt I will root, or mess around with roms. Of course that could change once my comfort level increases. The main thing that interests me is PDAnet so I can tether my laptop.

So if you were going to purchase a Verizon Droid this weekend, what would it be?

Thanks

First, I would wait until after CES. Lots of new 4G phones to be introduced at CES.

Second, I would give serious consideration to the HTC Thunderbolt/Incredible HD. It will be 4G and be one of the best new phones introduced.

Have fun, Android and Verizon are definitely the way to go!

lgonzal3

Reaction score
I like everyone else has mentioned would wait until CES 2011. But if you are ready to jump ship this weekend, i'd reccomend the DROID X.

You already have an all touch screen phone with the iPhone and if your not looking to sacrafice too much pocket space go with the Droid X, its thinner than a android phone with a keyboard.

You will enjoy the bigger screen. dancedroid

Reaction score
I second Wireless Tether... PDAnet requires the I-Tunes bloat machine to be installed.... ridiculous. As for phones, I made the leap from an ENv2 with slide keyboard to a Droidx. The Android OS is incredible. Verizon's bloatware is disappointing, but is easily remedied. I'm slowly adapting to the touch screen keyboard, but still find myself missing the physical keys from time to time. The Droid Pro with it's BB form-factor almost drew me in, but the screen size on the X is pretty darn nice.

ultimateD1

Reaction score
I personally would go for the fascinate.... its wicked fast. The 4 inch screen is the perfect size, its light wieght, and beautiful picture. I do not like the touchwiz but snap another launcher like launcher pro or adw and its sweet. I can't imagine what its gonna be like with froyo or gingerbread. IMO. I still adore my og Droid 1 though lol

Sent from my Sourcery using DroidForums App

ultimateD1

Reaction score
Oh one more thing. If you have never used a Droid before don't expect it to be like ur iPhone lol. The ui takes a bit of getting used to. Give it a week or so.

Sent from my Sourcery using DroidForums App

Droidarola

Reaction score
I would wait a month or two until LTE phones are out, I would get a HTC Thunderbolt 4G, or if moto comes out with a big screen, front camera phone I would get that one. Otherwise go with the droid 2 global.