Razr - NO Root Mobile Hotspot????

atimoff

Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm new to the forums and I just got my Razr last month. I am looking to hopefully cancel my home internet and use my Razr as a mobile hotspot. My phone isn't rooted and I don't want to root it. I'm trying to avoid paying verizons $30/month fee which is ridiculous! Is there any way to turn my phone into a mobile hotspot without rooting it and so Verizon doesn't/can't find out I am doing so? I have been reading a bunch of other forums listing elixir app (which I couldn't figure out) and wifi hotspot app which doesn't work on the Razr. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

Zandar

Reaction score
Apps like PDANet will work, but they're USB and not wifi. No root required, though.

Sliced from my RAZR

remeikle

Reaction score
I was at the same place you are. With my droid x I wanted to do exactly what you said. After rooting I still could not consistently get access to hotspot. I finally upgraded to razor 4 g l t e made the hot spot work great once I subscribed with verizon. It's worth the money because I got rid of my cable internet and saved 150 per month. Now I do not have to worry about rooting or updating and all the other fiddling around - my time is worth a lot of money too.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

MsterKush

Reaction score
I was at the same place you are. With my droid x I wanted to do exactly what you said. After rooting I still could not consistently get access to hotspot. I finally upgraded to razor 4 g l t e made the hot spot work great once I subscribed with verizon. It's worth the money because I got rid of my cable internet and saved 150 per month. Now I do not have to worry about rooting or updating and all the other fiddling around - my time is worth a lot of money too.

So now your battery just dies super quick on mobile hotspot....or for free, and no root, you could USB tether and (sorta) charge your phone while you surf. Mobile hotspot is a cool idea, but I don't see its usefulness when your phone is bleeding battery life heavily.

firefighterwise

Reaction score
So now your battery just dies super quick on mobile hotspot....or for free, and no root, you could USB tether and (sorta) charge your phone while you surf. Mobile hotspot is a cool idea, but I don't see its usefulness when your phone is bleeding battery life heavily.

One usefulness is be and my wife both have laptops so its cheaper to use the mobile hotspot than get internet. Can't tether to two laptops on USB.

Lars

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I can understand the apprehension to root, but if you only plan on utilizing free wifi tether and nothing else, it's pretty simple and safe. Take some time to read the sticky on this forum, search Youtube for 'Rooting the Razr' and the top two results are straight forward instructions on how to root and getting free wireless tether.

dsmith093

Reaction score
$150 for cable internet? What country is internet cable that much?

$150 for cable internet? What country is internet cable that much?

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
On my Bionic I can USB tether without doing any 3rd party apps or modification.

Even unrooted I can USB tether using the native stuff.

Maybe the Razr can do it also?

smmfc

Reaction score
Foxfi works great on non rooted razr

monkey_man

Reaction score
There are several posts mentioned to do Wifi tethering free and no root required. 150 dollars :blink: that can be classified as fiber optic or some kind of 50MB cable speed technology. I wonder what kind of data plan you have under the contract? I don't think 4GB data plan is suffice to replace home internet for the entire month as with traffic controller I used about 100 GB+/month, and if I used my Verizon data plan and even though I have Unlimited data plan I'll be sweating. Even with WIFI, I still used 5GB of data! :D

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
Foxfi works fine unrooted, but if you're going to use a lot of bandwidth, are you sure you want to try doing that without paying? I understand if you're only going to be using a small amount each month. That's fine, but if you're going to be doing this at home, I doubt you'll only be using a small amount.