razr maxx running slow

Reaction score
everything is running slow. i try to open any app or do anything it takes 3-5 sec to open. its like if you have it out side in winter but still runs slow when its warm. what can i do. im not rooted

Ed ke6bnl

Reaction score
mine is doing the same. at times other times still a bit slower. works somewhat better when I shut of phone and restart.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
You have to reboot the phone every few days to clear cache and what not.

OP
F
Reaction score
i just cleared it and deleted all my txts. seams to be faster for now

Lois

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, so if there is a more appropriate one, I hope someone will direct me. I am experiencing the same issues, plus excess battery drainage. Here's what I've tried & results:
1. Reboot - that helps with the sluggishness for a while, but it slows down fairly quickly. Rebooting causes mediascan to run rampant, draining battery, so I only like to do it when I'm charging.
2. Cleared cache: I've done that many times, and don't see much difference
3. Turn off all background data - helps a lot with the battery drain, not with the sluggishness. Of course, if I can't use my data (wifi isn't a problem), the phone's usefulness is much decreased.

I am not rooted, but am starting to consider it if could help. I've been afraid of bricking, but at this point, replacement may be necessary anyway. References to resources on rooting and/or replacement ROMs suitable for this phone would be appreciated.

I have a large number of apps, and have pruned out a few, but from what I've read on this and similar threads, that's probably not the issue. I also don't update apps automatically, because I keep reading app reviews noting that apps sometimes get worse when updated - so I update only when I see a need. Are there particular apps/types of apps that really need to be auto-updated?

I'm wondering if the problem with background data might be fixed with a new SIM card. Any thoughts?
I'm holding off getting a new phone because I still have unlimited data, and don't want to pay full price for a new phone, but also don't want to lose my unlimited data (not that it's very useful at the moment!). I'm thinking of switching to one of the new Sprint plans via BestBuy - any thoughts on that?

References to any threads or site-links that might address some of these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I know this is an old thread, so if there is a more appropriate one, I hope someone will direct me. I am experiencing the same issues, plus excess battery drainage. Here's what I've tried & results:
1. Reboot - that helps with the sluggishness for a while, but it slows down fairly quickly. Rebooting causes mediascan to run rampant, draining battery, so I only like to do it when I'm charging.
2. Cleared cache: I've done that many times, and don't see much difference
3. Turn off all background data - helps a lot with the battery drain, not with the sluggishness. Of course, if I can't use my data (wifi isn't a problem), the phone's usefulness is much decreased.

I am not rooted, but am starting to consider it if could help. I've been afraid of bricking, but at this point, replacement may be necessary anyway. References to resources on rooting and/or replacement ROMs suitable for this phone would be appreciated.

I have a large number of apps, and have pruned out a few, but from what I've read on this and similar threads, that's probably not the issue. I also don't update apps automatically, because I keep reading app reviews noting that apps sometimes get worse when updated - so I update only when I see a need. Are there particular apps/types of apps that really need to be auto-updated?

I'm wondering if the problem with background data might be fixed with a new SIM card. Any thoughts?
I'm holding off getting a new phone because I still have unlimited data, and don't want to pay full price for a new phone, but also don't want to lose my unlimited data (not that it's very useful at the moment!). I'm thinking of switching to one of the new Sprint plans via BestBuy - any thoughts on that?

References to any threads or site-links that might address some of these issues would be greatly appreciated.

I don't think a new SIM will help, that just enables your phone to connect to the mobile network. It should not affect the phone's performance. If you want to keep unlimited data, there are a lot of the newer model phones on sites like swappa for decent prices. If you want to keep your current phone longer, have you considered a factory reset (FDR) and then install apps one or two at a time and keep a record. You might find that there are apps causing the sluggishness and then you can decide if you really need them.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro

I forgot to mention this earlier. One other thing you can try is running your phone in Safe Mode. When the phone is in safe mode, third party - Play Store apps don't load & run (for the most part) and only the system apps that came with the phone will load. It's a good diagnostic toll to see if the phone behaves the same as regular mode or better. If some of your problems go away in safe mode, then Play Store apps are more than likely the cause. If the phone behaves the same in safe mode, then the issue (s) are probably not caused by Play Store apps. FYI: If you do run in safe mode for a while, when you reboot some Play Store apps may require their passowrd again. Here are the instructions for Safe Mode:
Restart the Device in Safe Mode DROID RAZR RAZR MAXX by MOTOROLA Verizon Wireless