Razr Maxx and music library ?

sownman

Reaction score
Trying to load music. Oddly in the past my SD card has had a directory structure that included a media>audio folder so I just inserted SD chip in IMAC and drug and dropped music files from ITUNES library and everything was fine. This Razr Maxx chip has no such directory structure so I thought I'd try the whole Google Music cloud/My music/motocast system. I got the ITUNES library uploaded to the cloud and can play it via wifi or 4g connection but I also want my music out in the country where there is no reception. I figured out the "make available offline" function and can now play in airplane mode. BUT Google music or music manager or whatever did not put the files on my SD card. They must be in fixed storage, but where ? I tried the setting>storage>move to SD card but no music shows up. I tried looking at the phone with Astro and can't find the 290 songs that were just downloaded. Any help here ? How can I get this stuff to the SD card ?

Last edited:

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
If you purchased the songs through google play and make them available offline then they get stored in the internal " music" folder you mentioned. They get stored as " mp31.mp3, mp32.mp3, etc (or something like that, too lazy to look right now).
If you have music on your pc you want to place on your sd card, create a folder called "music" (or whatever, it doesn't matter) and COPY your music to it. Your player will find it if you have the settings for it to scan the sd card.
As for the "media/audio" folder......use ringdroid from play store to edit your songs so you can save "snippets" from them to this folder. Then those cool guitar riffs will be available to you as ringtones and alerts :)

Edit : internal storage/ media/ audio/ ringtones (or notifications) for the ringdroid thing I'd talked about.

I am not the droid you're looking for

Last edited:

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Internal phone storage/ andriod/ data/ com.google.android.music/ cache/ music/ 1121.mp3, 1122.mp3, etc.

Unlazied to look it up:) That's where "make music available offline" music is stored for the google play music app.

OP
S

sownman

Reaction score
Thanks for the response it helps. The whole thing is very odd. If I look at the chip icon directly inserted to computer the directory structure only shows "LostDir" and "Camera"
When I attach phone via USB 2 icons pop up rather than 1. Within 1 icon I see the same two directories, in the other icon I see the full expected directory structure. I deleted the files in the android/google/music folder you mentioned and inserted from ITunes library into the media/audio folder. Everything works, but when I put chip back in phone and look at storage the capacities look like NOTHING is on the SD chip. Also and oddest of all the chip carries a name "Western Trip 2011" That is a folder name of photos that exist on my Mac hard drive but never existed anywhere on any phone. Even after formatting SD chip it doesn't change.

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Sorry you're still having problems. I work a goofy shift; thus, I don't have time to get on my pc and play around with it right now to offer better help (I'm basically at the "work and sleep" stage until the weekend).
Not to worry, this forum is full of people wanting to help. Some good soul with a mac (I've only hooked my phone up to a pc) will be with you shortly :)

brucefulton

Reaction score
You can sync actual media and text files with the motocast app over USB. See https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/product_page/faqs/p_country_code/US/p/1449,8119
Thanks for the response it helps. The whole thing is very odd. If I look at the chip icon directly inserted to computer the directory structure only shows "LostDir" and "Camera"
When I attach phone via USB 2 icons pop up rather than 1. Within 1 icon I see the same two directories, in the other icon I see the full expected directory structure. I deleted the files in the android/google/music folder you mentioned and inserted from ITunes library into the media/audio folder. Everything works, but when I put chip back in phone and look at storage the capacities look like NOTHING is on the SD chip. Also and oddest of all the chip carries a name "Western Trip 2011" That is a folder name of photos that exist on my Mac hard drive but never existed anywhere on any phone. Even after formatting SD chip it doesn't change.

OP
S

sownman

Reaction score
You can sync actual media and text files with the motocast app over USB. See https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/product_page/faqs/p_country_code/US/p/1449,8119

Thats how I started I did that but you can only listen via the cloud. No reception=No music. BUT if you hold album name down you can select "make available offline"
That works also but it stores on the internal storage rather than the SD card. At least it appears to me that is what happens. I don't want to fill the internal storaage rather than my 16GB SD chip.

brucefulton

Reaction score
No, you are mistaken about this. with motcast and usb, you transfer files to the phone over the USB cable to Sd storage, and they are available offline. You need to look into this further. I also found it confusing, but the motcast usb sync does synchronize files for offline use via USB.
Thats how I started I did that but you can only listen via the cloud. No reception=No music. BUT if you hold album name down you can select "make available offline"
That works also but it stores on the internal storage rather than the SD card. At least it appears to me that is what happens. I don't want to fill the internal storaage rather than my 16GB SD chip.