Razr M and KitKat 4.4 - Questions

AkronM

Reaction score
Went to Verizon today for phone upgrade. Undecided between Droid Mini and Razr M. Leaning toward the Razr M but have software questions someone might answer.

1. Is it pretty much certain that Verizon will be releasing the 4.4 KitKat update for the Razr M?
2. If yes, will the KitKat update be limited to only Unlocked/Developer Editions of the Razr M? Moto site says ALL Razr M's but other sites say only Dev. Ed. will get it.
3. Do Developer Editions/Unlocked Razr M's even work on Verizon?
4. What the difference between Unlocked and Developer Edition?
5. Will the Razr M get Touchless Control feature with the KitKat update?

How has everyone's real experience been with battery life on the Droid Mini? I passed on the Droid Mini today because of so many comments on short charge life.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I will do my best to answer your questions. I f I get something wrong, hopefully someone else will chime in and update the answer.

1. Yes, it's on their website and the Motorola website.
2. If the Moto website says all Razr M's. I would believe that before any other website.
3. Yes
4. From what I know, Unlocked means it can work on multiple carriers (Verizon, T-Mobile, etc.). Dev Edition means you can unlock the bootloader (if you are like me and are not 100% sure how to do that, then you probably don't need a Dev Edition)
5. No. Touchless controls are a feature of the Moto X, Moto G and new Droids (Droid Ultra, Maxx & Mini) only, since they have the new 8 core processor built specially for the active listening and touchless controls. The Razr M does have Google Now and voice search capability, but it cannot be activated by voice alone, you have to select the app first and then speak a command.

I can't speak for the Droid Mini's battery, but the Razr M gets great battery life. I charge it on the Moto desk dock every night, so I start the day with a full charge every day. I use my phone a lot throughout the day and never have to charge it during the day. Sometimes I need a quick charge when I get home from work to get through the evening, but not often.

OP
A

AkronM

Reaction score
Thank you. It's decision time.

Thanks for the great reply and information. Looks like my decision is between the Mini's Touch Control feature I would like or the reportedly better battery life on the Razr M.
Everything is a trade-off, I guess.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Thanks for the great reply and information. Looks like my decision is between the Mini's Touch Control feature I would like or the reportedly better battery life on the Razr M.
Everything is a trade-off, I guess.

There normally is trade-off once you have narrowed down your selections. Either way, I think both phones are very good & you will be happy. One more thing to consider is the age. The Razr M is a 2012 model, and will not be for sale much longer. My local store is sold out and they said they are not getting any more in. After KitKat it will probably never see another OS update (it's possible...but unlikely). The Droid Mini is a late 2013 model, upgraded to KitKat fairly quickly and more than likely will receive the next OS update (but there is always the chance that it will not). Just other things to consider. The Razr M is great though, even if it never goes beyond KitKat. I have 4 in the family and we have never had serious issues.

lwags67

Reaction score
With S5 coming out soon, the S4 is "on sale" for about $49. S5 not much an upgrade from S4. I will be getting one of those in 6 months with my upgrade/contract extension. Tired of Moto/Google ignoring its products.