Rattle?

streetmike

Reaction score
I noticed my nexus rattles when I set it down onto the table. Its really noticeable if the back top hits first. Let me say I do it gently but still has a rattle. My sisters does rattle but not nearly as loud as mine. Just wondering whose else does this and what do you guys thinks its from?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
the little rattle seems to be coming from the volume rocker. I think I saw a fix for it posted here couple days ago, but it's a common "problem"

phillyphill39

Reaction score
I noticed my nexus rattles when I set it down onto the table. Its really noticeable if the back top hits first. Let me say I do it gently but still has a rattle. My sisters does rattle but not nearly as loud as mine. Just wondering whose else does this and what do you guys thinks its from?

Its probably the camera, the iphone 4s does the exact same thing when you place it down. no need to worry, unless it rattles all the time.

OP
streetmike

streetmike

Reaction score
Yea it doesn't rattle when I shake it, and only when being put down upper back first, If I do screen side then nothing. I just wanted to make sure its "normal" before I put my skinomi sp on it when I get home from work.

Dezymond, It doesn't sound like its coming from the volume rockers, more like inside the phone.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Yea it doesn't rattle when I shake it, and only when being put down upper back first, If I do screen side then nothing. I just wanted to make sure its "normal" before I put my skinomi sp on it when I get home from work.

Dezymond, It doesn't sound like its coming from the volume rockers, more like inside the phone.
I know what you mean, it's coming near the top. I always heard it more from the volume rocker for some reason, could be due to making myself believe it is the rocker I guess:p
Alot of Nexuses/Nexii have this problem from what I've heard, wouldn't worry too much about it. 7 days of pretty much nonstop use for me and I haven't ran into any trouble hardware or software wise.

OP
streetmike

streetmike

Reaction score
Ok good! I love this phone and even though I have 30 days I didn't want to exchange it (best buy). The only two problems I have is the service and the BlackSOD a few times. Other then that the phone definitely lived up to the hype to me!

porcelain

Reaction score
Just wanted to add... I have the same rattle. And it's pretty audible to me. I actually did some research online about this because I wanted to know if it was normal before I headed to the store for a replacement. As people have already said, it's definitely the camera. It seems the autofocus in cameras can make a rattling noise. And searching online for any information on an autofocus rattle will return results with this same issue on a lot of different phones. The iPhone 4S seems to have a big problem with this, as PhillyPhill39 mentioned.

So, it seems like a pretty common problem for cell phones. My mom's Droid 2 does it. I even checked my ancient Samsung Glyde and my grandmother's Samsung flip-phone. Both rattled.

I did talk to Verizon tech support a few times though. Two people said the noise wasn't normal. One of those people told me to get a replacement. The other told me it was the SIM card slot rattling (because she called my local store and that's my store's argument). The other tech told me if it's not having a negative impact on the performance of the device, there's nothing they can do. My local corporate store absolutely refuses to give me a replacement unless my phone rattles all the time without touching it or if I get a device other than the Galaxy Nexus.

phillyphill39

Reaction score
Just wanted to add... I have the same rattle. And it's pretty audible to me. I actually did some research online about this because I wanted to know if it was normal before I headed to the store for a replacement. As people have already said, it's definitely the camera. It seems the autofocus in cameras can make a rattling noise. And searching online for any information on an autofocus rattle will return results with this same issue on a lot of different phones. The iPhone 4S seems to have a big problem with this, as PhillyPhill39 mentioned.

So, it seems like a pretty common problem for cell phones. My mom's Droid 2 does it. I even checked my ancient Samsung Glyde and my grandmother's Samsung flip-phone. Both rattled.

I did talk to Verizon tech support a few times though. Two people said the noise wasn't normal. One of those people told me to get a replacement. The other told me it was the SIM card slot rattling (because she called my local store and that's my store's argument). The other tech told me if it's not having a negative impact on the performance of the device, there's nothing they can do. My local corporate store absolutely refuses to give me a replacement unless my phone rattles all the time without touching it or if I get a device other than the Galaxy Nexus.

I think it us normal, because i know my go's iPhone 4s does it too. And its only when you put the phone down, and since these cameras are more powerful an high tech.. I don't think there is a way around it honestly. Im pretty sure ever gnex does it just not everyone notices it. But i could be wrong, i think you'll be fine like i said unless its just rattling all the time. I did a few test with my 4s just by dropping it of course on carpet to see if it had any effect on it and it didn't.

nbucko

Reaction score
I never noticed it until I held it up to my ear and tapped the back a few times. Either mine is quiet or I've fired way too many guns without ear Protection.

I'm betting on the latter.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums